This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde4 core or kde4

Like a lot of you, I've installed KDE4 core and found a lot of stuff missing. I was wondering if anybody installed the whole thing (KDE4 not Kde4 core), and:
    • If all this odd missing stuff is there?
    • If KDE4 still runs alongside KDE3.5 like KDE4 core, or does it replace KDE3.5?

Thanks in advance,

wmrobins

Re: kde4 core or kde4

If you add kde4-core to an existing install you will have everything you had in your kde3.5 menus in your kde4 menus in addition to the new kde4 applications. You will also have all of your new kde4 applications in the kde3.5 menus. So you will find you are not missing anything. The only issue I found is that I have a Triple Headed system. In KDE 3.5 (X) I can't use Xinerama because it crashes X but with Xinerama disabled and MergedFB enabled I have one screen running on the system's integrated Intel video and two additional screens running on an ATI Radeon 7000. In KDE 4, all three screens work but unlike KDE 3.5, in KDE 4 my Intel display has no Kicker/Klauncher and in all three (Gnome, KDE 3.5, KDE 4) I can't drag apps from ATI to Intel so to run anything on that screen in KDE 4 I have to do the following in Konsole: export DISPLAY=:0.1; xterm

And worse:

export DISPLAY=:0.1; konsole

launches konsole on :0.0

Once in xterm I can run non KDE apps on screen :0.1 like netbeans and eclipse but apps like konsole go to screen :0.0 even when launched from xterm on :0.1

If anyone can help me display a KDE 4 Desktop and Klauncher on my display :0.1, please let me know.

Comment

I should have been a little more clear. By "missing stuff" I meant stuff like the "Creat new" option when right clicking on the desktop. The trash seems to be missing also. Stuff like that.

Comment

Those missing things can be accessed via Konqueror that is, if you launch Konqueror (Web Browser) instead of Web Browser KDE 4 you can get all of the nice context menus that KDE 4 (Dolphin/D3lphin) lacks.

I'm sure all of the context menus will eventually find their way from Konqueror (KDE 3.5) to Dolphin (file browsing in Konqueror KDE 4 uses Dolphin).

Comment

Working...
        X