X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz question

Hi,

I ran into a problem with Compiz-fusion on my Kubuntu 7.10. The installation went OK (as far as I can tell) but the CF runs only "partially".
    For example I have some nice animation during minimizing/maximizing/closing windows but I don't have the cube desktop (and some more stuff missing).
    Also, I can't start the CCSM - neither from the run command nor from the menu.
    When I try to start it I get the little jumping icon and then nothing happens, the process is not even shown.

Can anybody help me fix this?

I'm running on a nVidia card (8800). Thanks in advance!

Re: Compiz question

Also, I can't start the CCSM
    I was in your situation recently, I can't tell how to troubleshoot the issue, because I couldn't figure it out myself. I wound up re-installing, which fixed the issue.

Firstly, do you have the correct Nvidia driver installed for your card? I can't help you too much if you do, because, Compiz depends on the driver to generate its nice effects. If you have the driver installed and properly configured, you're experiencing the same thing I did (which is probably the case).

You have to configure CF with CCSM in order to get the cube and other nice plugins working (unless you want to manually manipulate the config file; you can find it in your "/home/username/.kde/share/config/ccsrc"). If you haven't plunged too deep into Kubuntu yet, I would suggest backing up any personal information/configurations you want to keep, and re-install.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Thanks for all suggestions, I kind of solved the problem already.
      I found Kubuntu a little slow and unstable so I installed Ubuntu instead and believe it or not it is much quicker and much more stable.
      It has no problems with HDDs, consoles or Compiz Fusion (as described in my other post).

Anyway, I know this is not the best solution but I am only starting with Linux so I am happy for any "working" distribution.

Thanks again!

Comment

Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop environment (Kubuntu uses KDE), and Compiz was written for Gnome, then ported to KDE; thus, it runs better in Ubuntu than Kubuntu. I just prefer KDE over Gnome, and this forum is the most friendly and helpful of any I've used, so I'm gonna' stick with Kubuntu. I'm happy you've found Ubuntu able to meet your needs, and good luck! If you need any help with anything, or decide to return to Kubuntu, we'll be here
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Originally posted by integr8e
          Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop environment (Kubuntu uses KDE), and Compiz was written for Gnome, then ported to KDE; thus, it runs better in Ubuntu than Kubuntu. I just prefer KDE over Gnome, and this forum is the most friendly and helpful of any I've used, so I'm gonna' stick with Kubuntu. I'm happy you've found Ubuntu able to meet your needs, and good luck! If you need any help with anything, or decide to return to Kubuntu, we'll be here
          I agree with the description of this forum. Right on there. I agree with the rest as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
            Originally posted by integr8e
            I agree with the description of this forum. Right on there. I agree with the rest as well.
            Agreed!

With all of it. I too prefer KDE of Gnome. And, while Kubuntu is hardly a perfect distro (and does seem to be falling behind in areas) I agree that this forum is one of the most helpful places on the net.

Kev

Comment

Working...
            X