This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody else having this problem?

Every time I try to download ANYTHING with ANY P2P client, the computer hangs and the only thing I can do is a complete hard shutdown/reboot, which I know is probably doing damage to my hard drive. I need to know what the problem is and how to fix it.

Here's what I'm running.
    Gateway MX6426 laptop
    Realtek RTL8185 wireless card
    Marvell Yukon Ethernet

I need to know if it's due to my wireless card and if so if I need to run NDISWRAPPER and just be done with it even though my card IS apparently supported by Gutsy.

Any help would be appreciated.

R

Re: Anybody else having this problem?

Gutsy uses Ndiswrapper to support many Wifi cards by default; so if your card is listed as supported, its driver should already be installed. As for the P2P issue, I don't know what to tell you; do you have any firewall frontends (Guarddog, Firestarter, etc.) installed? If so, you may want to double check that they allow connections to/from the P2P server.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Sooo, all works fine when your wired in...?
      This is only occurring when your wireless?
      I'd open system guard and throw a grid in for the network card...
      then when your ready to start the p2p up and do what you need to do
      --to recreate--the hang, you'll have a visual -- or not!
      How much RAM ya got?
      Check if CPU is spiking 100%.
      You can try 'top' in a terminal... check only your running processors with:
      'top -u yourid'

But this is just me, trying some trouble-shooting.

Comment

It does the same whether I'm wired or not. I'm wondering what the hell is going on really. GRRR.

But yeah, I have no firewall front ends or anything of the like running.

R

Comment

If you are using Frostwire, make sure libstdc++5 is installed correctly.
          Slackware 12 - 32 bit on a ABIT Fatal1ty AA8XE Motherboard w/ Pentium 4 3.6 gHz HyperThreaded CPU (OC&#39;d to 4.4 gHz) and 1066 mHz FSB, 4 GB US Modular Low Density DDR2 ram, eVGA Nvidia e-GeForce 6200 LE 512mb PCI-e x16 GFX video. Plays World of Warcraft great!<br /><br />Only Linux @ home since 1996

Comment

When your PC 'locks up' you don't have to press the power button to turn the PC off. What appears to be a locked PC probably isn't. You can usually perform a safe shutdown/restart when you find your self in this situation, by pressing and holding the Alt+SysReq(PrtSc) keys, and then in sequence, S, E, I, U, B. Your PC will 'unlock' and perform a normal shutdown and restart.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ctrl+Alt and then pressing in sequence, SysReq (the PrtSc key), S, E, I, U, B. Your PC will 'unlock' and perform a normal shutdown and restart.
              Unless it's really frozen (been there before) :P Snowhog's suggestion works in nearly every situation, though.

As john14424 said, make sure you have libstdc++5 installed if you're running Frostwire, and also sun-java(5/6)-bin, sun-java(5/6)-jre, and sun-java(5/6)-src; if you're 64bit, be sure to install the ia32-sun-java(5/6)-bin package (check out this link).

If you're not using Frostwire, would you mind posting which P2P client you are using?
              Asus G1S-X3:
              Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I was using either Azureus for Torrent downloading or LimeWire Linux version for other downloads.

Comment

:P

Have you used a firewall frontend before on your current installation? If so, its iptables config is probably still intact, and interfering with your p2p clients.
                  Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

No I haven't.

Comment

It really sounds - to me - like a firewall issue. Iptables is automatically included with *buntu, and is the firewall used by all the frontends (they just provide an easy-to-use graphical interface). Perhaps it has somehow become misconfigured. Try installing Firestarter, which will automatically configure your firewall for you; just run it, answer a few simple questions the 1st time, and you should be good to go!

Edit: Be sure to watch Firestarter's taskbar icon; if it turns red with a lightning bold down the middle, it has prevented some sort of connection with your computer. Check what's being blocked, because it will sometimes block incoming connections you need for p2p apps, like Frostwire and Limewire. Just right-click the address, and tell Firestarter to allow connections from from the host.
                      Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
                      X