This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

List of Startup Applications?

I know this must have been discussed before, but I can't find it...

How do we get a listing of all the applications set to run at startup, so we can disable the ones we don't want to run?

Right now, for example, I have the annoying virtual keyboard popping up at startup.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Re: List of Startup Applications?

Check this location:

Code:
    /usr/share/autostart/

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
      Check this location:

Code:
      /usr/share/autostart/
      Thanks! That seems to be what I was looking for.
      I opened this in Dolphin. If I delete entries there, is that enough to disable auto startup?
      Thanks again,
      Matthew

Comment

Yes. You may need to be root (Alt-F2 > "kdesu dolphin" or "sudo rm file").
        For external use only.

Comment

There's another autostart folder under the .kde hidden folder in your home directory. Better check in that one too.

Comment

Located here:

Code:
            /home/YourUserName/.kde/Autostart/
            You shouldn't need root access for this one.

Comment

or you can install the kde autostart package (kcontrol-autostart in the repo). it is basically a "frontend" to the $HOME/.kde/Autostart/ folder.

also, you disable system services from startup in system settings/kontrol center. (but be careful! only disable a service if you specifically know you don't need it. disabling something necessary could have disastrous results).
              <br />

Comment

Thanks for the info, my fellow Kubuntuists! As always with Linux, there are several good ways to accomplish a goal.

Originally posted by disturbedite
                ...also, you disable system services from startup in system settings/kontrol center. (but be careful! only disable a service if you specifically know you don't need it. disabling something necessary could have disastrous results).
                I just took a look at this and there are several items there that I can't identify, so I will leave them alone!

I'm still learning more every day, tinkering with the system. But I'm hoping to be able to help others soon, just as you have all helped me.

By the way, I'm going to buy a laptop to use as a testing station. I'm going to load Kubuntu onto it and just toy with things to see what happens.

Matthew

Comment

you might "tinker" with kubuntu with a live disc, that way if you screw something up you can just reboot and it'll be fine again.
                  <br />

Comment

Originally posted by disturbedite
                    you might "tinker" with kubuntu with a live disc, that way if you screw something up you can just reboot and it'll be fine again.
                    That's the beauty of getting a separate laptop just for testing Kubuntu. I can experiment, and if anything goes wrong I'll just wipe out the system and start again.

Matthew

Comment

Working...
                    X