This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defining folder to search in with Tracker

I've been using the Tracker search tool in Kubuntu and it's a great program.

But does anyone knows of a way to enter a search string so that you can define which folders or directories to search?

I'm currently using the Tracker GUI and I would really like to be able to narrow down my search result some.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Defining folder to search in with Tracker

Before I begin, I do not have Tracker installed; I just looked at its documentation on its homepage.

Press Alt+F2 and run the command
    Code:
    tracker-preferences
    You should be able to define your search results a little better from the configuration window that opens.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

If you are not tooooo fond of Tracker then I would say "Kfind" is also an easy to use search tool. Try that.

SuB<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />There are only two things in life that are mandatory. <br />Birth and Death.<br />Everything else is optional. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Tracker builds database:

What is it?

Tracker is a first class object database, extensible tag/metadata database, search tool and indexer.

It can trawl through your hard drive and index existing files and data stores.

You can configure indexing:

As integr8e said: Alt+F2 tracker-preferences
        or
        K > Settings > Tracker preferences
        or
        ~/.config/tracker.cfg (it is text file).

There is:
        [Watches]
        # List of directory roots to index and watch seperated by semicolons
        WatchDirectoryRoots=
        # List of directory roots to index but not watch (no live updates but are refreshed when trackerd is next restarted) seperated by semicolons
        CrawlDirectory=
        # List of directory roots to not index and not watch seperated by semicolons
        NoWatchDirectory=
        # Set to false to prevent watching of any kind
        EnableWatching=true

Then you can search database with tracker-search-tool or from konsole:
        Code:
        tracker-search <options> keyword
        also:
        kio-find
        http://demandiseineseite.gmxhome.de/find/
        kio-find is a KIO slave that allows KDE's file manager Konqueror to access tracker's indexing database. find_applet adds a search box to the kicker bar.

Status
        Please consider this software in alpha status, it is released as a request for comment rather than for productive use. This means that support requests along the lines of "compilation fails with XYZ, what shall I do?" will be ignored until the software reaches a more mature state.
        Tracker frontend
        http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...?content=49208
        Description:
        This is a small frontend for the [Meta] Tracker program. I'll be working on this until a proper KDE based program is released.

Supports:
        Searching based on service type (Documents, Music, etc)

Requires a version of tracker-search that supports the -s switch. I'm using version 0.5.2 with good results.

Links

MetaTracker Ubuntu
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MetaTracker

Meta Tracker Home
        http://www.gnome.org/projects/tracker/
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I am aware that you can change what Tracker indexes by changing this in the preferences. I was looking more for a way to define where in the indexed info you search. I'd like to be able to select a certain folder and then only have tracker search there.

I think the one link posted by Rog131 may help. It mentions something about using "RDFQ" for complex search queries. Maybe this is a way of doing what I want it to?

Comment

Working...
          X