This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timed startup

First off I'm a complete noob to Linux although having used a Mac for some years have a vague knowledge of Unix :-)

I'm about to install Kubuntu GG, and whilst that may bring its own probs, I'm looking for a utility running on GG that will perform timed startup and shutdown on my x86 box. The idea is that the machine will be running certain times of the day and I can SSH or VPN into it.

Does anyone know of such a utility? I'm not sure if it can be done with crontabs - certainly a dedicated utility would be better.

Any help appreciated.

Re: Timed startup

Hi,

If you want to boot your computer without being there, the only two choices are :
    - find a bios option to boot every day at a time
    - in bios stil, activate the wake up on lan option and then when you need the computer, ping it
    Then to switch it off, you can use contab to turn it off at the desired hour.

Hope it helps

Comment

Originally posted by sky
      - find a bios option to boot every day at a time
      - in bios stil, activate the wake up on lan option and then when you need the computer, ping it
      Then to switch it off, you can use crontab to turn it off at the desired hour..
      Forgot the bios :-) Macs have been doing this for years but they don't have a bios. The current Macs have efi which is rather different.

Thanks for the help sky- I'll take a look at the bios settings and see if there's anything I can do.

Comment

Let me know if you get it working, I've been thinking about the same thing.
        For external use only.

Comment

Working...
        X