This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept only start from root terminal

Adept refuse to open since I've upgraded kubuntu from 7.04 to 7.10.
    From the start menu, it asks for the password and after... ... ... nothing happens. Adept is working great though if I open it from a superuser terminal. From a standard terminal with "sudo", it doesn't work either, failing the connection with X server. It seems that the sudo user doesn't have the rights to connect to X... But other apps which requires admin rights are running properly.

I've tried a "apt-get --reinstall adept", but it changes nothing.

Any ideas?

Re: Adept only start from root terminal

Correction, I have the same problem for all gui apps which requires root rights. The issue is not an "Adept" issue but a more general one.

Comment

Originally posted by gogh
      It seems that the sudo user doesn't have the rights to connect to X... But other apps which requires admin rights are running properly.
      sudo doesn't have rights to X, but kdesu does. When in a terminal, and you desire to launch a GUI application, you need to use kdesu application, not sudo application.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

True. His problem seems to be that kdesu(do) isn't opening Adept, however...
        Could be caused by using sudo where kdesu(do) should've been used.

Try opening Konsole and executing "kdesu adept_manager". See what it says.
        For external use only.

Comment

Same problem with kdesu :

~$ kdesu adept_manager
          passprompt
          Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
          Xlib:
          No protocol specified
          adept_manager: cannot connect to X server :0.0
          ~$

Comment

Yeah, something got screwed up somewhere... Try "mv ~/.Xauthority ~/.Xauthority~" and hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. (This'll end your session, so save anything that needs to be saved.) See if that fixes it. (Actually, you may need to reboot, rather than just restart the X server...)
            For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
              Yeah, something got screwed up somewhere... Try "mv ~/.Xauthority ~/.Xauthority~" and hit Ctrl+Alt+Backspace. (This'll end your session, so save anything that needs to be saved.) See if that fixes it. (Actually, you may need to reboot, rather than just restart the X server...)
              I've tried this but I still have the same problem even after reboot
              Other ideas?

Comment

Well, thanks for your help. If someone cares, this behaviour was already reported in ubuntu bug database as bug #144722 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...do/+bug/144722

Comment

Working...
                X