This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept Installer crashes giving Signal 6 (SIGABRT) error

My adept installer keeps crashing. It was doing one of the updates, then it gave an error, but seemed fine after that. Once I went to install something using adept though it keeps giving the Signal 6 (SIGABRT) error. I tried restarting the whole system but its still that error. I have no idea what to do to fix it. It gave a backtrace report but it just looks like gibberish to me.

Re: Adept Installer crashes giving Signal 6 (SIGABRT) error

Try opening Konsole and executing "kdesu adept_installer" (or adept_manager, if you prefer). See what it prints to the terminal.
    For external use only.

Comment

If I run it & then click the Yes (to resolve the issue) when the dialog appears, I get this as the result in the prompt:

kapture::PkgSystem::PkgSystem()

terminate called after throwing an instance of '
      std::bad_cast

what()
      std::bad_cast
      KCrash: Aplication 'adept_installer' crashing...

Ealier when I was doing an update the program had crashed saying it couldn't finish downloading/installing something, but after the error message the updater said everything was fine.

Comment

Some commands to try:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install
        sudo dpkg --configure -a
        ...but those are mainly for fixing problems with the APT database itself. If it still doesn't work, it's probably a problem with Adept. Try "sudo apt-get install --reinstall adept adept-installer". (If it happens with other parts of Adept, try reinstalling those too.)
        For external use only.

Comment

Thanks I think you saved my laptop's life. When I ran the code you suggested it came up with this part:

Setting up libqt3-mt (3:3.3.8really3.3.7-0ubuntu11.1) ...

Configuration file `/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc'
          ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
          ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
          What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
          Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
          N or O : keep your currently-installed version
          D : show the differences between the versions
          Z : background this process to examine the situation
          The default action is to keep your current version.
          *** qt_plugins_3.3rc (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? n

Setting up kdesudo (1.1-0ubuntu2.2) ...
          Processing triggers for libc6 ...
          ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

As you can see above I selected N, I don't really know what is going on there though, it looks like libqt3-mt did not finish updating during the last update run, and stored it to be run later. Adept Upater just ran now though & it looks like it went through fine. I'm going to try restarting my computer too and see if it keeps, but it looks like its working now anyway. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

I would've gone with Y, but there's probably nothing wrong with N. (Anyway, if you chose Y, some things might've stopped working, or you may have had to reconfigure something. If in doubt, try D.)

In any case, glad to be of service.
            For external use only.

Comment

had the same problem and it worked for me too.
              thx

Comment

I'm am having the same problems with adept. I am very new to linux and all the coding.

I tried reinstalling adept using the code above and got the following:
                E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

What do I do now?

Comment

Run "dpkg --configure -a", maybe?
                  For external use only.

Comment

Hey SheeEttin,

Just wanted to say thanks, I just installed and was getting this error. I opened up a terminal and ran "dpkg --configure -a", hit Y at the menu and now adept runs fine.

Comment

Same problem here, only when I tried to install the updates, it trashed GRUB, and I did a complete re-install.

Going through the upgradeable packages, when I got to libqtxxx-xx
                      it had problems committing the changes, and then the SIGABRT crash came.

dpkg seems to fix the database so I can run Adept again, but the problem seems to be related somehow to those ***qt files for Perl (I think that is what they are related to)

Thoughts?

Comment

When I tried to do just one more update, Adept crashed again, saying there was a problem committing changes, and when I clicked OK, it went back to the screen and told me it had finished.

I will re-install Adept and see if that changes anything, but I now appear to have about seven packages that were supposedly updated, which aborted improperly, while Adept says they are installed and fine.

What next?

Comment

I'll toss my anecdotes in here, too.
                          Basically, what SheeEttin said usually works fine (Run dpkg --configure -a).

learner, you had “Adept crashed again, saying there was a problem committing changes, and when I clicked OK, it went back to the screen and told me it had finished.”

I've gotten that, also, more than once; just ignored it, went on with business as usual, and never noticed any issues arising from such. That's just my personal experience with that message and may not mean much else than that.
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I re-installed Adept after doing an update with apt-get, then ran dpkg, got the questions referred to earlier, and told it Y, to keep the maintainer's version, and so far Adept is working normally again.

Thanks for the help, and quick response.

Comment

Originally posted by seithenin92
                              Thanks I think you saved my laptop's life. When I ran the code you suggested it came up with this part:

Setting up libqt3-mt (3:3.3.8really3.3.7-0ubuntu11.1) ...

Configuration file `/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc'
                              ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
                              ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
                              What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
                              Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
                              N or O : keep your currently-installed version
                              D : show the differences between the versions
                              Z : background this process to examine the situation
                              The default action is to keep your current version.
                              *** qt_plugins_3.3rc (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? n

Setting up kdesudo (1.1-0ubuntu2.2) ...
                              Processing triggers for libc6 ...
                              ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

As you can see above I selected N, I don't really know what is going on there though, it looks like libqt3-mt did not finish updating during the last update run, and stored it to be run later. Adept Upater just ran now though & it looks like it went through fine. I'm going to try restarting my computer too and see if it keeps, but it looks like its working now anyway. Thanks a bunch.
                              it's a known bug and affects most kubuntu 7.10 users (well, not all update with adept)
                              https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...pt/+bug/158043
                              priority high

Comment

Working...
                              X