This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Input

I can't record sound with my laptop running Kubuntu gutsy. I am able to turn on the mic in KMix and even play back the mic input through the speakers in KMix. There is no issue there. But I cannot get Audacity to register any working sound input device. It either give mes an error or records nothing. Audacity only seems to work with OSS as the sound input, except then there is no sound input!. What is the difference between OSS and ASLA? Why do I need both of these? I am completely lost and frustrated right now, it seems so trivial to get from my mic jack to a sound recording program.

Re: Sound Input

I just checked with my audacity, never used it before with gusty, but i have used it many times in the past. I just checked and i can record with alsa default, something i couldn't do in the past. I can also record in oss. It's not as satble as i would like...but it's definately a lot better than before.

just a couple of simple questions, when you open kmix>input are the 2 mic buttons on? the red one and the green one? is the capture light on? If the capture light is not on, you will listen to the mic but won't be able to record anything and audacity wont show anm input device drop down list

Oss is open sound system which predates alsa. If i am not mistaken Oss had not made mayor updates until a short while ago and it was considered for older pc's, while alsa for newer machines, but oss is definately on the move with the announcement of their version 4 http://www.opensound.com/linux.html

With my setup, alsa works better for recording with audacity, (as a matter of fact, the sound is pretty crappy with oss and audacity with my pc) so. i have to be sure to tell audacity to use the default alsa, and prior to listening the recorded sound i have to go back to the preferences and change it to oss otherwise i get an error message. I imagine that is a nuisance you can avoid by compiling your own audacity with alsa enabled, i use the gusty one.

Hope that helped

Comment

Working...
    X