This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StarOffice?

Has anyone installed StarOffice 8 in Kubuntu? Will it be necessary to alien each RPM file... and is installation likely to go OK after that?

-- Werdigo49
    Registered Linux User #291592
    Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

Re: StarOffice?

Unless you need some of the functions of StarOffice, I'd go with the pre-installed version of OpenOffice.org.
    If you do need StarOffice for whatever reason, you may need to put the RPMs through alien if debs are not provided.

Personally, I'd go with OpenOffice.org... It's nearly identical, and free.
    For external use only.

Comment

If i am not mistaken, open office is the open version of star office. The latter is only developed by sun, while the first, by many others, Sun included. Some early versions of open office had the sun logo

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
        Unless you need some of the functions of StarOffice, I'd go with the pre-installed version of OpenOffice.org.
        If you do need StarOffice for whatever reason, you may need to put the RPMs through alien if debs are not provided.

Personally, I'd go with OpenOffice.org... It's nearly identical, and free.
        Thanks, Shee and juan... As an academic, I qualify for a free SO8 download, and I think it has some things that aren't included in OOo. Maybe Adabas, but I never use that anyway. I'll probably give it a try (you can tell from the number of my posts that I'm brand new to Kubuntu) after alien'ing all of the RPMs, but I agree that OOo is almost identical and the differences are probably irrelevant to my purposes.
        -- Werdigo49
        Registered Linux User #291592
        Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

Comment

Anyone knows why the Excel file read and write back by OO become 3 times as big ? I mean a plain work sheet with no formula and in Chinese.
          Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

I would say because they are not completely compatible...The MS code is not open, so the pople at Open Offcie are doing the best they can with waht they have. I Imagin that if Bill were to release his code, full compatibility would no longer be an issue. But of course, he won't do that because it goes against his plans to sell his crappy software to all pc's in the planet

Just a thought

Comment

It might just be the Chinese. :P
              Unless you need to read it with Excel, try just saving in OOo's native format.
              For external use only.

Comment

Working...
              X