This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install .tar files???

plzz help me how to install .tar files manually ! i read in the official site about installation of .tar files , but i was confused. plzz help me out.

PLZZ NOTE THE 3 REPLIES GIVEN R FOR INSTALLATION OF THEMES. DONT GET CONFUSED. PLZZ POST HOW TO INSTALL .TAR FILES

Re: How to install themes

First, you'll need to unpack Kore's tarball (65646-koremin.tar.gz); open Dolphin and navigate to the directory you downloaded Kore to. If you downloaded it to your desktop, click the "Home" tab on the left sidebar, click the "Desktop" icon, right-click the tarball, highlight over "Actions" and click "Extract here". Then, go back to your /home directory press Alt+. (Alt + period) to show the .hidden files, look for one entitled .emerald, click it, click the "themes" icon, and place the "koremin" file there (the one you extracted from the tarball). The easiest way to do this - other than by command line - is to split the view into two different ones; click the "View" button in the menu bar and select "Split View". You can then just drag the "koremin" file from your ~/Desktop to your ~/.emerald/themes directory (~/ is short for /home/(username)/; replace (username) with your username).

BTW - Kore's awesome!

Edit: Oh, you will then want to open Emerald's theme manager, choose the tab that let's you select which theme you want to use, and click the Koremin option, followed by "Apply".
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

i pasted the files as u said but i donot see the theme coming in emerald manager and also kde theme manager

Comment

Did you click the "Refresh" button in the Emerald theme manager?
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Re: How to install tar files

thanks integr8......i was a bit succesfull at installing themes. Can u tell how to install .tar files.

i read in the official site. but i got confused at the commands that r 2 b given at the terminal. could u plzz help me!!

Comment

Re: How to install .tar files

Really, the best way to install .tar files, is to unpack the file, and look through the contents for either or both a file entitled "README" or "INSTALL" (all caps is important). Instructions for installing the package should be in one of them.

Generally, to install .tar files (using only the command line), open Konsole and navigate to the directory the .tar file is in. If I downloaded a package called abc123.tar.gz to my Desktop, I would use the command
            Code:
            cd /home/(username)/Desktop
            and replace (username) with my username (the one I use to log-in to Kubuntu).

Then, unpack the .tar file with the following command (note: replace abc123.tar.gz with the name of the package you wish to unpack):
            Code:
            tar -zxvf abc123.tar.gz
            Once it has finished unpacking, "cd" (change directory) to the unpacked directory. If the directory I unpack from the abc123.tar.gz package is called abc123, I would use the command
            Code:
            cd abc123
            to "cd" to that directory since I am already in the /home/(username)/Desktop directory. You should see something like (username)@blah-desktop:~/Desktop/abc123$ if you successfully changed the directory. Then, you would type
            Code:
            ./configure
            (That's dot - forward slash - configure) Followed by
            Code:
            make
            and lastly, if there are no errors,
            Code:
            sudo make install
            If you have no errors, that's it! Your done! However, if you do, you must correct them before you can install the package; they are generally caused when you don't have certain packages installed it depends on (i.e. dependencies). Just install the needed packages, and repeat the process (./configure -> make -> sudo make install).

Note: That's the conventional method; you can also open Dolphin, navigate to where your .tar package is located, right-click it, highlight over "Actions" and click "Extract Here". Then, tell Dolphin to "Open Terminal" (menubar -> Tools -> Open Terminal), which will open Konsole to your given location, allowing you to skip a lot of commands and begin with "./configure".
            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Re: How to install .tar files

There's a bunch of links in Reply #10 here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087028.0
              (Qqmike)
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
              X