X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the compiz-fusion cube don't work!!!

Hi to all!!!

Finally i installed the compiz-fusion on my kubuntu gutsy... great, all is perfect but........ i don't have the cube!!!
    I explain: All the effects work great, but when i try to turn the cube, i don't have a cube but a symple one face of this!!!
    first i try to change the number of desktops on the kubuntu control center, then i try to change the number of desktop and the number of the horizontal cube faces on the compiz control panel... but the result is that for compiz i have a cube with all the faces but only with 1 desktop... CRAZY!!! :P
    Someone know how to resolve this problem??

Re: the compiz-fusion cube don't work!!!

Yeah I get the same thing, using 64bit and the new ATI drivers, incase thats any help.

Comment

Hi,

Make sure you have this package installed : compizconfig-settings-manager If you do, then go to the menu and settings -> Advanced desktop effects and make sure that you have the "cube" effects enabled. Mine were off by default.

Comment

Both Desktop Cube and Rotate Cube are enabled. As mentioned in the first post, the plugin is kind of working however instead of rotating as a cube there are just 2 faces (even with 4 desktops enabled).

Comment

Yep, what ppberns said.

In KDE, right click the desktop, choose "configure", and set the number of desktops to 1 (default is 2).

In KMenu>Settings>"Advanced Desktop Effects Settings", click "General Options" and "Desktop Size" and set the horizontal size to 4, but leave the vertical and number of desktops set to one. Then make sure you X'd "Desktop Cube" and "Rotate Cube" and you should be able to hold down the left Ctrl and Alt and turn it with the arrow keys.

Comment

Spot on, thanks!
            I Assumed that Desktop faces were used by the KDE settings for multiple desktops.

Comment

Thanks dibl for the info to change the horizontal size to 4, this seems to have fixed both my problems. The
              first was strange desktops with the cube, 2 faces to the cube ? however many selected, and second after
              logging back on after a change of user my desktop only displayed the top left quarter of my desktop.

Comment

Sorry to hijack.

All this talk of compiz is got me wanting to try it out. It looks like all the settings are ok but it just won't go. I try to start it and it tries but then fails. The window borders disappear and that's it. Here is what I've done.

Code:
                dan@kubuntu:~$ compiz --replace ccp &
                [1] 8657
                dan@kubuntu:~$ Checking for Xgl: not present.
                Detected PCI ID for VGA: 01:00.0 0300: 10de:0281 (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
                Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
                Checking for non power of two support: present.
                Checking for Composite extension: present.
                Comparing resolution (1024x768) to maximum 3D texture size (4096): Passed.
                Checking for nVidia: present.
                Checking for FBConfig: present.
                Checking for Xgl: not present.
                Starting emerald
                /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Error: Another window manager is already running on screen: 0
                /usr/bin/compiz.real (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
                exec: 378: /usr/bin/metacity: not found
                What the heck am I missing here.

eriefisher
                ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Emerald is a "Window Decorator", so it looks like Emerald is fighting something else -- KDE perhaps.

Try running the command as simply
                  Code:
                  compiz
                  no guarantees, but that's the way it works on mine.

But you don't want to close the console window, or it will strip off the windows borders.

Comment

Nope same thing. Back to no borders. Now what.

Should compiz automatically call emerald?

eriefisher

Comment

Yes, it should.

Did you install the compizconfig-settings-manager package? If so (and assuming you also installed emerald), you should have a new "Settings" item on your Kmenu list, and in that Emerald should appear.

Comment

Yes and yes and it does.

eriefisher

Comment

If you go into your System Settings>Appearance>Window Decorations, do you have anything special set up? Mine is at the default "Crystal" decoration -- I never changed anything there.

Comment

Working...
                          X