X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutsy Gibbon - issues

Hi all,

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but I am just sharing my experience with installing 7.10 on my laptop. It is a a generic Clevo with Centrino 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM and Intel 915GM display.

I happily downloaded and installed...everything seemed to work....I tried installing w32codec...no such package (same for acroread, but KPDF seems ok)...installed libxine1...worked...happy.

Then it did not support my RMVB files, downloaded Realplayer from real.com, worked. Installed the kaffeine-mozilla and aboutlugins didn't show there are anything...weird. Needed to install mplayerplugin and works.....sheesh

I use Thunderbird extensively and I installed it via Adept...cool...except when I click on an URL in the email nothing...gotta add something manually in the prefs.js. How primitive...shouldn't adept or whatever resolves this kinda issues? Even the painful Fedora/RH won't do this to me.

Java....needed to download and install from java.sun.com...needed to add the plugins via soft links...again...a step backwards...felt like Fedora/RH....

The worst thing is, after a couple of days, the GUI switches to 640x480 instead of the 1280x768 at installation. Mind you it was working just yesterday night. This is the second time, the first time I thought I messed up the installation and reformatted.

Again, if anyone have/had the same issues, maybe you can share any solutions?

Sorry, don't mean to rant, overall, I love the feel of Kubuntu. I hate to believe that Kubuntu is just a hasty grafting of KDE into Ubuntu.

Regards,

Eric

Re: Gutsy Gibbon - issues

What repositories are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by yeoheric

I tried installing w32codec...no such package
      You need to enable the Medibuntu repository to get the popular non-free stuff (codecs, Google Earth, etc.). Click the "Repository How To" tab, then paste the two commands, one at a time, into a Konsole window:

http://www.medibuntu.org/

Afterwards, open Adept Manager, click "Fetch", and your package list will be refreshed with the additional items available there.

The worst thing is, after a couple of days, the GUI switches to 640x480 instead of the 1280x768 at installation. Mind you it was working just yesterday night.
      That's a weird one. Video display issues are probably the most common source of new user frustration -- I remember the feeling vividly. But once set, they rarely just spontaneously degrade.

Tell us about your graphics chip/card, CPU, and motherboard, and perhaps someone can point you toward a better video driver or setup for it.

I hate to believe that Kubuntu is just a hasty grafting of KDE into Ubuntu.
      Ehh -- you get to believe whatever you want, here.

Comment

it IS a hasty grafting but pretty good for all that

hey dibl, here's another Nietzsche quote for you:

If you look into an abyss the abyss will stare into you..

Comment

Originally posted by coyotl

I LIKE IT .... I LIKE IT A LOT!

Comment

Missed the boat on F & G. Dev must be working on kde4 issues. Have 64 bit working but to many other kde integration bugs. What to do? Well theirs always pclos, simplicity but boring.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl

I LIKE IT .... I LIKE IT A LOT!
              But, if you remember what dibl looked before, then the better quote might be:
              "That which does not kill me makes me older."
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

it IS a hasty grafting but pretty good for all that

In Soviet Russia, abyss stare at you

Comment

Hi dibl,

Thank you for your reply. I was spoilt by Automatix during my long sojourn with Ubuntu Feisty. I will try your medibuntu repo when I get home. I did not use anything special, I just enable the universe, restricted, multiverse in sources.list; I read somewhere that was all you needed to get codecs and stuff.

As for the screen issue, I solved it by changing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to the 1280x768 reso. Odd that it went 640x480.

All I know is that it is a generic Clevo notebook (rebranded as a Hyundai M-Life) with Intel 915GM. I never had an issue with it running OpenSuSE/SLED10, Gentoo/Sabayon, Ubuntu (6.06 to 7.04), Fedora and even Centos.

I seldom do a lot of poking coz I need to focus the task at hand (I do a lot of support work from home). I just change distros to see what's new.

Again, the feel of the entire distro is good; but the integration between apps is still somewhat spotty. Not everyone uses Konqueror to browse and KMail for messaging. I am sure those two apps will work flawlessly together.

As for pclinuxos, no game for me, coz I read and write in Chinese and it is a royal pain to enable Chinese support in it. Kubuntu has some of the best looking Chinese fonts I have seen and I did absolutely nothing; a plus point in my book.

Thank you all for help.

Eric

Comment

In Soviet Russia, abyss stare at you
                    [/quote]

---it became much worse in the Yeltsin years

Comment

Automatix is still available for Gutsy although most of what I used to get from there is now available with add/remove if you enable all repositories. I enable all except Pre-release updates. It even sets up Flash and Java on 64bit Firefox for those that want it. It also installs the codecs needed.

Comment

Makes you feel a bit for the people who did Automatix, doesn't it? The poor buggers did nothing else but try to help people use this system as easily as possible.
                        I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

I use Thunderbird extensively and I installed it via Adept...cool...except when I click on an URL in the email nothing...gotta add something manually in the prefs.js. How primitive...shouldn't adept or whatever resolves this kinda issues? Even the painful Fedora/RH won't do this to me.
                          What was you solution? I just posted that question as

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087983.0
                          Toshiba Satellite 2800 P3M Coppermine @1GHz 256MB RAM GeForce 2 GO with 16MB DDR

Comment

I was spoilt by Automatix during my long sojourn with Ubuntu Feisty.
                            Confession: I used Automatix, for about 3 weeks after I first installed Kubuntu Dapper. When you know so little about Linux, but you do know what you want (Nvidia driver, Google Earth, and codecs), you are very attracted to the "easier" solution.

It was only after I found my sources.list file corrupted by Automatix that I realized how "expensive" that "easy" solution really was.

Long before Automatix, Bill Gates discovered the value of presenting his technology to the public as "easy to use", and to their credit Microsoft has gone quite a long way toward delivering on that proposition. Guess that explains their market share. :-X

Comment

Working...
                            X