This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow -- be careful of new updates!

I just pushed the "preview changes" button in Adept Manager and was mildly horrified to note that kubuntu-desktop and some other non-dispensable packages were pre-marked for removal. Yikes!

Re: Wow -- be careful of new updates!

I think kubuntu-desktop itself is just a meta-package used to install the kubuntu version of kde. Once installed it can be removed. I will have to double check.

eriefisher
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

This is starting to become a tradition with kubuntu, major release upgrades mean losing kde-desktop and other like packages that are kubuntu specific. At least this time it's surfacing during the final testing stage before the release, and hopefully will be fixed before officially releasing this time.

So, what do we think is the source of the problem? The core Ubuntu developer team hating KDE (they are GNOME people after all), or the Kubuntu team being too lazy to check for package conflicts between the KDE bits and the Ubuntu core?

Comment

My upgrade this morning wants to remove 35 packages I would exercise caution.

Cary
        The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Is fixed now!

Cary
          The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Weird - mine installed 72 packages... removed 0..

Comment

I just checked synaptic and kubuntu-desktop is not installed.

Kubuntu desktop system
              This package depends on all of the packages in the Kubuntu desktop system

It is safe to remove this package if some of the desktop system packages are
              not desired.
              I also just finished updating (again) and nothing was removed.

eriefisher
              ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

I just clicked Adept Update and the list of updates looks much better now -- and kubuntu-desktop is not on the list. Maybe it was a temporary situation, but I saw items like "konqueror-defaults" and "konqueror-nsplugins" and "kcontrol" marked for removal -- it could have been very ugly if I had blindly clicked "apply" without checking.

Comment

This morning my system upgraded kubuntu-desktop
                  Asus G1S-X3:
                  Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Mine has boorked at upgrading kdeaddons, kdegames & kdetoys if I select any of them it presents me with a break screen in adept! I'm about to try a apt-get dist-upgrade to see what effect it has!

Cary

Comment

Nope!

root@stinkpad:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
                      Reading package lists... Done
                      Building dependency tree
                      Reading state information... Done
                      Calculating upgrade... Done
                      The following packages have been kept back:
                      kdeaddons kdegames kdetoys
                      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
                      root@stinkpad:~#

Cary

Comment

Originally posted by Death Kitten
                        So, what do we think is the source of the problem? The core Ubuntu developer team hating KDE (they are GNOME people after all), or the Kubuntu team being too lazy to check for package conflicts between the KDE bits and the Ubuntu core?
                        it depends on mirror, some sync in a wierd way

Comment

I can add another one to the mix libsoprano-dev after apt-get update :-X

Comment

I haven't had problems in a few days... (I'm using the US mirror.)

Just lucky?
                            For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                            X