Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove 468 packages, including KDE and KDM ????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove 468 packages, including KDE and KDM ????

Well, this "Notifier" update notice is most interesting! Of my 1328 installed packages, it says it would like to install 0, update 9, and remove 467. On the list to be removed is Adept, KDE-everything, KDM-everything, python stuff -- geeeeez, did Mark Shuttleworth piss off a programmer, or what

Re: Remove 468 packages, including KDE and KDM ?

They're just 'testing you' to see if you are observant or not!
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Mehhhh -- I'm pretty easy to fool, but .... sheeeesh!

Comment

Yeah, but you like to 'dibl' around with the OS!!
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think it's beating me, tonight!

Comment

It'll trick you if your not careful; not too long ago, I was trying to update my GTK library. I needed the new version of GTK to run one of the programs I'd downloaded so I downloaded, compiled, and installed it. However, for some reason, my system was still reading the old library installed with Adept; I probably should have rebooted to see if that would work, but I didn't. I opened Adept, and told it to uninstall the old GTK libraries. Then, without previewing the changes, I told it to apply them - MISTAKE! I wasn't thinking about the fact that most of my computer installed through apt depended on the GTK libraries . . . and, as a result, since I couldn't cancel the process and didn't think about killing the process due to being in shock of what was happening before my eyes, I watched as my entire system was slowly deleted I don't think I have to say reinstallation was necessary
            Asus G1S-X3:
            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Yep, I hear that. I'm looking at my new Gutsy Beta Alternate Install CD .... :P

Comment

Heh, you too Don't let Adept fool you, that little joker can be rather vicious at times.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, a nice feature for the final release of Gutsy would be a confirmation page for Adept you would have to view and agree to before you could apply any changes. What do y'all think?
                Asus G1S-X3:
                Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Go ahead dibl say yes. Let's see how bad bad can get.

eriefisher
                  ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
                    Go ahead dibl say yes. Let's see how bad bad can get.
                    I can answer that question!

Code:
                    [36-856993] RAMDISK: ran out of compressed data
                    [36-857024] invalid compressed format (err:1)
                    [36-857308] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root filesystem in unknown block (0,0)
                    So, it's fatal.

No worries for me, I had already made my Gutsy Beta Alternate install CD -- figured it would not hurt to lay it down clean, given all the bashing and smashing with compiz and VMWare that I did on Tribe 5.

BTW, it appears the "upgrade to Hell" has been fixed -- I see the Adept Notifier is now offering a set of updates that appear legit. Maybe ....

Comment

Working...
                    X