This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing gone from bad to worse

Hi with the latest updates, as of now, Kgutsy does not even see usb printers anymore, either as user or administrator, so backwards we go again.
    So perhaps time for a week or so holiday from Kgutsy and see if the updates perhaps get a little better.
    Back to Feisty, which definitely prints OK, even with B@W laser Samsung ML-2010.

Perhaps KDE 4 beta is better than the 3.5.7 offering so far?
    Perhaps it should be included as a kgutsy alpha update instead?
    Best
    El Zorro 8)
    It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Re: Printing gone from bad to worse

hmm, bad news as i also have an usb printer and updated cups... to add it to the fact that acroread can't start yet and opera (with flash content) is excruciatingly slow; but this printing thing is serious, so i would expect a very quick fix

well, it's still alpha, so these things are bound to happen

Comment

.....to add it to the fact that acroread can't start yet and opera (with flash content) is excruciatingly slow;
      this is the bad boy bug_
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rg/+bug/127944

Firefox and kpdf work fine.

but this printing thing is serious, so i would expect a very quick fix
      Go to launchpad:
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/
      and see if your problem has been reported. If not post a bug with as much detail as possible.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Firefox and kpdf work fine.
        and so does openoffice.org, but not acroread (it's something with the latest gtk updates).
        As for the printing problems, at the moment i don't experience them, i'll see what happens after a reboot (crossing fingers  ).
        Anyway, I'll be very very cautious with updates from now...

EDIT: after reboot it all seems ok, so it probably is a printer-model specific issue

Comment

Still no printing 1 week later, still cannot see installed printer except as administator, so despite further cups updates and kdesktop updates no progress with this I think serious printing issue.
          So maybe wait 2 or more weeks 'till I try again.
          Wonder if the tribe 4 iso is any better, or am I unique with its error messages.
          Best
          El Zorro
          It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi,
            I joined the Debian mailing list and got 2 answers very quickly stating there was a Kaffeine problem in Debian Lenny and hence Kgutsy
            I thought that Kaffeine, interfering with a printer was a bit on the far side.
            Indeed removing Kaffeine, allowed my Samsung ML-2010 to be seen again in KDE print in tribe 5.
            However it would not print but put the job in Kjobviewer.

The true problem resides in newer kernels 2.6.21-2, and onwards as everything goes fine with printing Kaffeine present and all with the older kernel 2.6.18-4-486 #1 Mon Mar 26 16:39:10 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux in Lenny. Gutsy does not leave the older kernels accessible it seems.
            So there is a *bug in the kernels after 2.6.18-4-486 #1* with regard to the Samsung ML-2010 and I hope it can be fixed probably more likely in the Debian camp than in Gutsy I fear.
            Regards
            El Zorro 8)

Comment

Hi,
              I borrowed a friends Samsung ML-1710 B@W laser printer as an 'experimental' thing and this printed fine under Kgutsy and Lenny
              Still so obscure why only the Samsung ML-2010 is not seen by Kgutsy or Lenny at all.
              Sidux (unstable) sees the Samsung ML-2010 and prints from it fine with the 2.6.2x kernel too.
              So KGutsy and Lenny both do not see it, obviously for the same reason whatever that may be.
              Beats me
              Best
              El Zorro 8)

Comment

Working...
              X