This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu can't mount other drives?

I have a problem with Kubuntu 7.10 unable to mount other drives beside the one it's installed on. I have a ntfs with XP installed and FAT32.
    Whenever I try to mount them I got hal-storage-fix-mount-all-options-refused uid 1000. This is a clean install of Kubuntu. When it was installed over ubuntu there was no problem.
    I found some discussion over here http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088232.0 & here
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...al/+bug/115768 but no solution.

thanks
    Slobodan

Re: Kubuntu can't mount other drives?

I've managed to make an manual mount with :
    bobi@deus:~$ sudo mkdir /media/hda5
    bobi@deus:~$ sudo mount /dev/hda5 /media/hda5

But is there any way Kubuntu to mount my drives automatically ?

Slobodan

Comment

You can add a mount line to your /etc/fstab file, but you'll need to have the drive connected at the time you boot. Here's some guidance:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084679.0

I personally prefer the new "mount by UUID" method -- here are the last few lines of my /etc/fstab file, showing a USB thumb drive mounted at /media/NTFSTICK:

# Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
      UUID=b311e153-6e03-4b2c-ac17-ebcac0b37ca3 none swap sw 0 0
      # Entry for /dev/sde1 :
      UUID=A8FC3435FC33FC5E /media/NTFSTICK ntfs nouser,defaults,atime,exec,force 0 2
      /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
      /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

Comment

Thanks for the advice but those are actually 2 partitions of my hard drive not USB. I mounted as above advised only the FAT32, and I didn't unmounted.
        I hope I didn't screwed my data.

Slobodan

Comment

Your data should be fine, although FAT32 is not famous for reliability -- if you're sharing that with Windows you could just as easy use NTFS and the data would be more secure.

Comment

Simple changing Mount Permission settings to Any user may enable did the trick, thank you again .
            I wonder why it isn't configured like that from the start like in Ubuntu ?

One more question is writing to FAT32 partition from Kubuntu safe?

Slobodan

Comment

Safe in what sense? Linux can write natively to a FAT32 partition. If you have ntfs-3g package installed, then you can read/write to Windoze NTFS partitions.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It's no more hazardous writing to FAT32 from Kubuntu that any other OS. FAT32 is an old filesystem format -- it's the 32-bit version of the original DOS FAT filesystem, as designed for 5.25 inch floppy diskettes in the early 1980s. All journalling filesystems, including NTFS, are more reliable than FAT.

Comment

Working...
                X