This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutsy boot image

I have searched the forum for an answer but to no avail.
    I had installed Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10 i386 to hda5 and everything worked fine. I then installed PCLinuxOs to hda8 and when prompted to enter the Gutsy boot image in the grub setup, I did not know how this image should read. Therefore I entered " /boot/vmlinuz/dev/hda5" without the kernel designation. Needless to say, I can boot into Gutsy but the usb devices do not work, such as the mouse.
    Could someone please tell me how this boot loader image should read?
    Thanks for any help.

teddyred

Re: Gutsy boot image

Did you try chasing it down through all the links this leads to:
    http://www.pclinuxonline.com/wiki/In...ionToHardDrive

I scanned some quickly, looks like it should be there (as to what the installer script expects you to type there.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks for your response, Qqmike....
      Yes I am somewhat familiar with the PCLOS wiki. But what I need to know is what to enter in the "image" section of the control center Drakboot setup screen for Kubuntu Gutsy 7.10. There are entries for "label", "image", "root" and "append".

The entries for PCLOS are:
      Label: linux
      Image: /boot/volumiz
      Root: /dev/hda8
      Append: acpi=on splash=silent

teddyred

Comment

You need someone with 7.10 to help us here with some info (I am using 7.04).

Example, for my 7.04, from the /boot/grub/menu.lst on sdb5:
        title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic
        root (hd1,4)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=UUID=4ead32ce-5c61-49c3-babb-f0e17831afd4 ro quiet splash
        initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic
        quiet

So, I would * guess * (and then try) the following:

Label: Kubuntu 7.04 # Make up any name here, I would suppose.
        Image: /boot/vmlinuz # or try /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic, who knows? Try each.
        Root: /dev/sda5 # since this 7.04 is on sda5
        Append: ro quiet splash # since those are the only kernel options appended

That's the sort of thing you need. The way this works is you do your best to guess at it, then keep trying, or find something to copy. For example, you might try Image: /boot/vmlinuz and Append: ro quiet splash, and see if it goes.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks, Qqmike
          I tried those settings.....and nothing.
          May need to reinstall

teddyred

Comment

Working...
          X