X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRUB doesn't see Win-XP

I installed Gutsy from an Alt CD.

The install seemed to go OK, but it's not seeing Win-XP (on same hard drive).

How can I add this to the startup?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    *****<br />&quot;I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow.&quot;<br /><br />~ Woodrow Wilson

Re: GRUB doesn't see Win-XP

Your answer is in here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      Ok, thanks.

Chuck
      *****<br />&quot;I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow.&quot;<br /><br />~ Woodrow Wilson

Comment

I followed the above link, but that post was confusing the hell out of me,
        here is my menu.Lst

title Windows XP
        root (hd0,0)
        makeactive
        chainloader +1

title Ubuntu gutsy (development branch), kernel 2.6.22-12-generic
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-12-generic root=UUID=5b451143-5075-44b4-ba0b-884629e80f09 ro quiet splash
        initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-12-generic
        quiet

title Ubuntu gutsy (development branch), kernel 2.6.22-12-generic (recovery mode)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-12-generic root=UUID=5b451143-5075-44b4-ba0b-884629e80f09 ro single
        initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-12-generic

title Ubuntu gutsy (development branch), memtest86+
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
        quiet

all it does it hang when i choose windows

here is what fdisk says

Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
        255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156301488 sectors
        Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
        Disk identifier: 0x0ea25758

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
        /dev/hda1 * 63 83425544 41712741 7 HPFS/NTFS
        /dev/hda2 83425545 153211904 34893180 83 Linux
        /dev/hda3 153211905 156296384 1542240 5 Extended
        /dev/hda5 153211968 156296384 1542208+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

I see there is an NTFS par on hda1 where i would expect it tobe , what is HPFS?

I am sorry if the anser is something simple..its late im tired and transfering/installing and building a new PC is a pain.

thnx for any help

Comment

Installed gutsy this morning and grub didn't recognize windows and so wasn't added to menu.lst.
          I had been playing with faunos before hand so I wasn't sure why it had happened. So...at the grub menu at boot, I hit c to get a grub prompt
          grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
          grub> makeactive
          grub> chainloader +1
          grub> boot
          just to see if windows was still there. windows booted so I just added it to menu.lst

so the only thing I can see is not adding boot at the end

Comment

Originally posted by Stone.Otter
            Installed gutsy this morning and grub didn't recognize windows and so wasn't added to menu.lst.
            I had been playing with faunos before hand so I wasn't sure why it had happened. So...at the grub menu at boot, I hit c to get a grub prompt
            grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
            grub> makeactive
            grub> chainloader +1
            grub> boot
            just to see if windows was still there. windows booted so I just added it to menu.lst

so the only thing I can see is not adding boot at the end
            thnx stone, it does the same thing...it just hangs

S!

Comment

UPDATE: due to a mistake installing the NVIDIA Drivers and i could not remember how to save in VIM (while editing the XORG.CONF) i REINSTALLED KUBUNTU, during the install i chose to do a manual partition, , I found that under the NTFS partition i could change it to "/Windows" which gave an error "unable to mount media" so I let it go back to default and continued..I was suprised at boot time to windows as a boot option...so i chose it....but all it did was hang I am begining to think i may have curupted it some how, anyone know how i can check this?

S!

Comment

You don't want to try to set the Windows partitions to mount during your Kubuntu installation. Only set your Linux partitions to mount (ext3, reiserfs, or whatever).

The Grub installer will auto-detect your Win XP OS and the MBR on (hd0), and that is where it will write the Grub bootloader. It is all pretty automatic, unless you get fancy and try to mix IDE and SATA drives and put Win XP on the second hard drive, or something like that. If Win XP is already installed on an IDE drive, and that drive is "master" or (hd0), then the defaults in the Kubuntu installer will set you up to dual boot with no decisions or interventions by the guy/gal installing the OS.

Comment

thnx didbi, i read somewhere about a guy gettting the same "hanging" on boot as me, do you happen to know how he fixed it?

S!

p.s thats where i get confused, it made sence to me /windows then linux on ext3 and then swap...but what I need todo is get my 800 page linux book back from a friend and start reading

Comment

I think Kubuntu fails to recognize more video cards than it recognizes .... :P

But, once you get used to that little bit of reality, it's not that tough to deal with. See here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

I like the Alternate Install CD, which runs in "character mode", and lets you pick your mount points and direct the Grub bootloader.

Books -- I like Beginning Ubuntu Linux by Keir Thomas. I keep it close by ...

Comment

dibl if i do a manual boot from the GRUM command prompt and windows still hangs what do you think the problem is?

thnx for any help

S!

Comment

same here, altern cd loading of Kbu' I had not noticed that during installation it failed to see windows (was tired) but can I get it to see Windows now!!? Tried using the cd again and skipping base install to and passing over to the the grub write... it just wont see it!
                        Used Super Grub Disk which got the windows boot up sequence back to check no problem with loading, no problem there. Switched back to the reinstall the grub... still will not see windows!.
                        I am sure my laptop used (hd0,0) and tried variations of it, but using this just does nothing...
                        Anyone have any suggestions?
                        Bukunut
                        There are three kinds of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.

Comment

Mmmmmmmm. Are you guys doing anything funny with SATA or USB drives? *buntu really likes to see Win XP on an IDE/PATA drive, in first position (hd0). Anything else requires some finessing.

Here's Qqmike's excellent tutorial on Grub-fiddling:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

Comment

dibl

Well I tried the method of editing /boot/grub/menu.lst as this now seemed the only method that would work ......and checked and STUPIDITY is my problem.
                            I manually had entered this to the menu.lst, but not checked the spacing....

title Windows XP
                            root (hd0,0)
                            makeactive
                            chainloader +1

MAKE SURE THERE IS ONE SPACE AFTER root and one space after chainloader
                            Changed the file, and it loaded flawlessly. Windows is back (I know... shame)
                            Bukunut :-X
                            There are three kinds of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.

Comment

Hah. Yep, "I've met the enemy -- 'tis me".

Good that you got past it.

Comment

Working...
                              X