This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webcam List

If you use Gutsy Gibbon (Edubuntu, Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Xubuntu) then you have noticed a neat little issue. Webcams that previously worked in Feisty aren't working in Gutsy.

Though I was surprised to find my reliable and old VGA cam didn't work I was even more surprised to learn that I couldn't get it to work in Gutsy even using the correct driver.

Apparently there was a major overhaul of the webcam modules to alleviate them of outdated drivers which means support for older webcams is gone.

So I went looking for a list of webcams known to work with Gutsy. All I could find is a list for Skype but its a start. Since the cams listed here are known to work in the Linux version of Skype for Gutsy they will also work with Gutsy sans Skype.

EZonics
    EZ CAM II

Logitech
    Communicate STX
    Quickcam 9000 Pro
    Quickcam Chat for Skype
    Quickcam Express II
    Quickcam Notebook Deluxe
    Quickcam Pro 4000
    Quickcam Pro for Notebooks
    Quickcam Ultra Vision
    Quickcam Zoom

Phillips
    SPC 900NC

These are the models I wrote down when i went to get another webcam that would work. I ended with the Quickcam Notebook Deluxe which worked right out of the box on my laptop.

Camorama was of no help for camera testing and Kopete and aMSN were the apps I had to use to see if it was working.

PLEASE if you are reading this and know of any webcams that work in Gutsy out of the box or with minor tweaking email me at shaun.marolf@gmail.com so I can add them to this list.

Re: Webcam List

I have a quickcam 9000, which as you point out, works on gutsy with kopete and amsn, but not with anything else (that I tried like camorama etc). I also tried an hp webcam, but that did not work.

Comment

I have a Logictech Quickcam Express. Here's what to do to make it work:

# aptitude install module-assistant qc-usb-source qc-usb-utils
      # m-a prepare
      # m-a a-i qc-usb-source

May have to Reboot

txWingMan

Comment

and where do I type all that info?
        I have NO clue as to what I am doing -- HELP !!??

Comment

In the console. On a side note, my Logitech Quickcam Messenger works right out of the box.
          Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

Working...
          X