Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

not able to access ntfs partition (Resolved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not able to access ntfs partition (Resolved)

When trying to access the ntfs partition via konq or dolphin it gives me the following:

hal-storage-fixed-mount-all-options refused uid 1000

I figured maybe it was because I was trying to access from non-root user. So I logged into dolphin as root and still gave the same error. Please help!

EDIT: Resolved, ran ntfs-config and enabled everything and it works fine now.

Re: not able to access ntfs partition (Resolved)

please pardon me, if my english is not good, it's not my mother language
    i was installed KDE package(KUBUNTU) for ubuntu gutsy, i get the problem just like u..
    but i can't solve the problem for my external hardisk.. , there is no device for my external hardisk in ntfs-config... It's only work for my internal hardisk..

Comment

To date there are many threads on this in many *ubuntu forums. Not one has an answer, and some purport to have solutions, though none of the solutions have actually worked for me.

It is important to note that if you're able to bring up a file manager of any kind and check some box and have this error go away, you should consider yourself lucky. This is a showstopper bug for many people.

The error is:
      hal-storage-removable-mount-all-options refused uid 1000

(Google search link)
      http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search

This is a very widely reported bug in anything *ubuntu based. I tried Kubuntu, got the bug, tried Freespire, got the bug, and am now using Mint. All *ubuntu based. And I still got the bug.

The actual reason the error happens:
      Policy kit* wasn't ported to Debian and as I understand things, the next major rev of Ubuntu (and therefore it's HAL) shipped anyway.
      * Policykit URL: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...00&btnG=Search

Solution #1 that does not work (for me, anyway)
      sudo mkdir /media/hdb5, then chmod it, then sudo mount /dev/hdb5 /media/hdb5
      Reason this does not work:
      Because on reboot, it all goes away!

Solution #1a that also does not work (for me, anyway)
      Doing the above and also editing fstab to do this for you, as in adding
      /dev/hdb5 /media/DISK0 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
      Because on reboot, not only does it not work, but your devices have moved one letter down the alphabet -- and hdb5 doesn't show anywhere!

Solution #2 that does not work (for me, anyway)
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Au...ountPartitions
      Has good info, but no solution is listed for this infamous error.

Solution #3 that does not work (for me, anyway)
      Use some sort of graphical file manager to check some sort of box. I use Kubuntu, and someone suggested checking a "user" box on a tab in Dolphin.
      The tab doesn't appear for devices that generate this error. (Note that on one drive, my SCSI in a mixed IDE system, a permissions tab is totally missing!)
      Here is a screenshot of my system showing the problem (animated GIF)
      http://vorck.com/images/mountproblem2.gif

There is ONE ACTUAL solution and TWO workarounds to this problem.

Actual solution #1:
      PolicyKit must be added to all *ubuntu distributions.

Workaround #1
      /dev/YOURDRIVE /media/NAMEYOUWANTTOUSE ntfs-3g users,defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
      By adding "users" you allow anyone with any permission level to read/write to all drives.

Workaround #2
      REMOVE this:
      + if (!invoked_by_uid || strcmp(invoked_by_uid, "0"))
      + if (!privilege || strcmp (privilege, "hal-storage-removable-mount"))
      + permission_denied_privilege (privilege, invoked_by_uid);

Remove this from which file? I have no idea. I haven't found anyone who could tell me. If I knew, I'd recompile or edit whatever file it was and submit it to someone in authority or offer it for download on my own website.

Reason my friend who gave my Linux system a try laughed out loud.
      This kludge of assigning devices that should be recognized as valid media to directories in mnt, and then chmoding and editing fstab... doesn't this embarass anyone else trying to "sell" Linux? Come ON, even Windows gives fewer problems recognizing devices! I'd like to be able to see media devices as media devices... not assign them to directories. Am I really all alone on this one? Everyone really is content to have to take 20 minutes to create a kludge that only half-works, and recognizes some, but not all, drives?

Questions
      Can anyone help Linux see media devices as media devices?
      Or
      Can anyone, using the mnt and chmod and edit /etc/fstab kludge, explain why tabs are greyed out and some are missing for my drives in my screenshot?
      Or
      Can anyone name the file that Workaround #2's lines should be edited from?

For those who want to see /etc/fstab
      Even though I have determined by reading many many Google links to this error that my fstab is irrelevant, here is the text to it. I cannot overemphasize that this problem has NOTHING to do with fstab, but someone's gonna ask.

Here is my /etc/fstab
      # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
      #
      # -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config --
      #
      # proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
      # Entry for /dev/sdh2 :
      UUID=4d1047df-5f28-4462-b155-44843ca0ae89 / ext3
      defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
      # Entry for /dev/sdh1 :
      UUID=348455A984556DFC /media/sde1 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
      # Entry for /dev/sdh5 :
      UUID=d9631695-3162-40bf-9f41-7ca88b4f9788 none swap sw 0 0
      /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
      /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0

So! Somewhere online, I found a “solution;” instead of trying to directly access / mount them, I should add this to the file:
      /dev/sdh1 /media/DISK0 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
      /dev/sdi1 /media/DISK1 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
      /dev/sdj1 /media/DISK2 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
      /dev/sde1 /media/USB1 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
      /dev/sdf1 /media/USB2 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0

This worked until I rebooted. When I rebooted, I had the SAME PROBLEM. /etc/fstab was Unchanged, and to make it weirder, now my drives were sdk, sdl, sdm, etc. They just moved down the alphabet. I tried changing those trailing zeros above to various combinations of 0,1 and 1,1 and 1,2 and 2,2 and 2,1 and 2,0.

Nothing fixes this.
      The bug can only be worked around.
      Any help for which file to edit would be appreciated.

Comment

Have you tried this? I got different errors but it worked for me.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...96093#msg96093

Comment

Working...
        X