Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blender and Screen Refreshing: SOLVED!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blender and Screen Refreshing: SOLVED!!!

I like Blender a lot, and don't like Windows, so when I installed Kubuntu, I installed the Blender package, and fired her up, hoping to never have to do any 3D modeling in Windows again. And then I noticed a problem . . .

Blender does not refresh the screen properly. When you are doing a border selection, it forgets to erase the border marker guidelines until you have finished the selection, which makes object modeling a genuine pain (to try this out, fire up Blender, and with your mouse in the 3D view, press 'Tab', and then press 'B', and move your mouse around). And when resizing the various views, the view edge markers don't erase until you let go of the mouse button, too. This isn't as much of a problem, because it's not often you have to do that, but border selection is an everyday activity, and being able to do it right is very important.

Also, the default cursor set in Kubuntu has a crosshair cursor that looks like a bloated 'X', rather than a +, like it does in Windows. The cursor becomes a crosshair whenever you're using edit mode in Blender, and because using edit mode is a very precise operation, the chunky cursor gets in the way. Happily, since Blender 2.44, Blender uses its own cursor for this, that looks just like the one in Windows, but Blender 2.43 is what comes in the Kubuntu repositories, so unless people install from the Blender website, they're stuck with the big white 'X'. Sadly, though, the newer versions of Blender still have the same erasing problem . . .

So, has anyone else noticed this? Or is it just my computer? Do other distros have the same problem, or is it Kubuntu only? Should I report it as a bug? What do you all think? Let me know!

Re: Blender and Screen Refreshing

Blender does not refresh the screen properly. Shocked When you are doing a border selection, it forgets to erase the border marker guidelines until you have finished the selection, which makes object modeling a genuine pain (to try this out, fire up Blender, and with your mouse in the 3D view, press 'Tab', and then press 'B', and move your mouse around). And when resizing the various views, the view edge markers don't erase until you let go of the mouse button, too.
    Hmm - I haven't noticed that. What kind of hardware/drivers do you have ? I'm using Ati 9600 XT with AMD (Ati) Proprietary Linux Display Driver (fglrx).

Earlier:
    Topic: blender having problems
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3083610.0

Also, the default cursor set in Kubuntu has a crosshair cursor that looks like a bloated 'X', rather than a +, like it does in Windows.
    Here Blender is using KDE cursors (and you can change theme):
    K > System Settings > Keyboard & Mouse -> Mouse |Cursor Theme - tab|

Note:
    If your selected Cursor Theme doesn't include "crosshair" cursor then KDE (and Blender) will use "crosshair" from default Cursor Theme. Maybe, if KDE can't find "crosshair" cursor -> bloated 'X'.

Fast preview:
    KDE icons and cursors are in /usr/share/icons/

Adding Cursor Themes:
    Use Adept/Synaptic/whatever
    or
    Goto KDE-LOOK.org / X11 Mouse Theme
    http://www.kde-look.org/?xcontentmode=36
    and download theme tar.bz or tar.bz2.
    Click in the K > System Settings > Keyboard & Mouse -> Mouse |Cursor Theme - tab| "Install New Theme" and tell where tar ball is.

Happily, since Blender 2.44, Blender uses its own cursor for this, that looks just like the one in Windows, but Blender 2.43 is what comes in the Kubuntu repositories, so unless people install from the Blender website, they're stuck with the big white 'X'.
    Hmm - tried in Gutsy: blender-2.40, blender-2.44 (repo version in Gutsy) and blender-2.45. All use KDE cursor themes.
    Tried in Dapper: blender-2.41 (repo version in Dapper) and blender-2.44. Both use KDE cursor themes.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for your reply, and sorry I haven't got back sooner.

I just tested it, and for me, at least, Blender 2.43 uses the Kubuntu Human crosshair cursor (that looks like an X), and 2.44 uses the X11 crosshair (that looks like a +). I prefer using the newer version, anyway, so the cursor thing isn't really a problem at all, compared to the graphical glitches . . .

I have a ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card (128MB). Not sure what driver I'm using, though . . . how does one find out? Is it in one of the X11 config files? I definitely have the same problem as the fellow in that other thread you linked, did.

Comment

Not sure what driver I'm using, though . . . how does one find out? Is it in one of the X11 config files?
        Yes - in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
        Code:
        Section "Device"
        	Identifier	"ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AR [Radeon 9600]"
        	Driver		"fglrx"
        or Driver "ati"
        or Driver "vesa"

In the konsole:
        Code:
        :~$ fglrxinfo
        display: :0.0 screen: 0
        OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
        OpenGL renderer string: ATI RADEON 9600 Series
        OpenGL version string: 2.0.6747 (8.40.4)
        => fglrx

Drivers

atiI:
        X.Org X server -- ATI display driver
        This driver for the X.Org X server (see xserver-xorg for a further description)
        provides support for the ATI Mach, Rage, Radeon, and FireGL series. It
        provides the 'atimisc', 'r128' and 'radeon' sub-drivers.

Note that this is not the same as the ATI-provided, binary-only, 'fglrx'
        driver, which provides additional 3D functionality for some newer Radeon
        cards, but is not supported.
        fglrx:
        Video driver for the ATI graphics accelerators
        Video driver for the ATI Radeon and FireGL graphics accelerators.

This version of the ATI driver officially supports:
        * RADEON X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900
        * RADEON 8500, 9000, 9100, 9200, 9500, 9550, 9600, 9700, 9800
        * RADEON X800, X700, X600, X550, X300 series (AGP and PCI Express)
        * MOBILITY RADEON 9000, 9200, 9600, 9800, X700
        * MOBILITY RADEON 9000/9100 IGP Series
        * FireGL 8700, 8800, E1, E2, X1, X2, X3, Z1, T2
        * MOBILITY FireGL 9100, T2
        * RADEON XPRESS 200

This package provides 2D display drivers
        and hardware accelerated OpenGL for X.Org 1.3.0.
        vesa:
        X.Org X server -- VESA display driver
        This driver for the X.Org X server (see xserver-xorg for a further description)
        uses the standard VESA interface provided on all video cards, but runs
        unaccelerated. This driver is not recommended for use unless you have a
        problem with the normal driver for your card, because it will peform very
        badly.

Installing:

FAQ: Links - How to Install AMD(Ati) Proprietary Linux Display Driver (fglrx)
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085652.0

Envy is the easiest way but sometimes:

Topic: Envy Problem
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087020.0
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks! Envy worked without a hitch, and Blender works perfectly, now!

And that wasn't my only problem switching drivers solved - I had downloaded the Open Source MMORPG Planeshift, a while back, but the fonts were all corrupted: until I switched to fglrx!

Thanks again!!!,

Mark

P.S. What happened to that kudo system they used to have around here? You deserve a couple.

Comment

Working...
          X