This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

su password "not"

Since this is a home install, I use the same password for everything in Kubuntu, so it's strange that doesn't work, but it doesn't.

I was denied access to root.

Is there a way to reset or change the root password?

Chuck Billow
    *****<br />&quot;I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow.&quot;<br /><br />~ Woodrow Wilson

Re: su password &quot;not&quot;

There is a way change the root password, but I cannot think of the method to do so at the moment (I'm currently in front of a Window$ pc). I'll check and post the method in a few hours after I get home if somebody doesn't beat me to it.

This may sound stupid, but looking at your subject line, if your trying to use 'su' to run commands as root in Kubuntu, you won't have much luck (I'm not sure what the deal is, but it asks you for a password that seemingly doesn't exist, and as such, rejects your every attempt to guess it); you have to use the 'sudo' command.

Edit: Actually, check out this link.

I'll see how you're doing in a little while when I'm in front of my home computer
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

For root access you would preceded the command with sudo. EG:

Code:
      sudo (command)
      password
      For graphical programs use kdesu. If it is a root terminal you want then type:

Code:
      sudo su
      password
      Hope this helps

eriefisher
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

But is there a way to change or reset the actual root password? ...

Or, I just had a memory of something sometime back:

Can I even GET to root directly, or MUST I go through sudo?

Chuck
        *****<br />&quot;I not only use all the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow.&quot;<br /><br />~ Woodrow Wilson

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
          For root access you would preceded the command with sudo. EG:

Code:
          sudo (command)
          password
          For graphical programs use kdesu. If it is a root terminal you want then type:

Code:
          sudo su
          password
          Hope this helps

eriefisher
          Yea, that's right... thanks.

Comment

To become root, a "sudo -s" works fine.

If you wanted to actually set the root password for whatever reason (better to leave it as through sudo), become root and say "passwd".
            For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
              To become root, a "sudo -s" works fine.

If you wanted to actually set the root password for whatever reason (better to leave it as through sudo), become root and say "passwd".
              Thanks...

But if it won't let me into root to start with?

Comment

Indeed, Ubuntu does by default not have a root account.
                The theory is added safety, a hacker would now for example not only have to discover the password for root but as well the user name, an added barrier.
                And it prevents people accidentally doing all kinds of things in an unsafe manner as the sudo command stays valid for only about 1 minute after exiting the application that required it.
                Plus it's only assigned to the one application, not the whole system.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
                  The theory is added safety, a hacker would now for example not only have to discover the password for root but as well the user name, an added barrier.
                  And it prevents people accidentally doing all kinds of things in an unsafe manner as the sudo command stays valid for only about 1 minute after exiting the application that required it.
                  Originally posted by Teunis
                  I grok the good intentions... but is there a cure for my malaise, or am I doomed to re-install"

Chuck

Comment

Chuck, it sounds like you're laboring under assumptions brought forward from Unix or something -- no?

If for some reason you need a root prompt, do
                    Code:
                    sudo su
                    at your user prompt, put in your password, and POOOF! you're the root user. Prompt changes from $ to # and that's it -- you're in.

Will your system not let you do this?

Comment

Use the same password that you use to log into your system.

eriefisher
                      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
                        Use the same password that you use to log into your system.

eriefisher
                        My system is standalone, single-user - me.

I use the same password, every time, and it won't take it. Not with su -, not with sudo.

Chuck

Comment

And you're using the password you use to log in to your system?
                          Hmm...
                          For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin
                            And you're using the password you use to log in to your system?
                            Hmm...
                            Yup. Same one...

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Well, it sounds like, for reasons unknown, you are down to 2 choices.

1. Reinstall (and pay close attention to that new password!).

2. Make a little research project out of the sudoers file and visudo, the special-purpose editor that is used to edit it. But I'm not sure you can use visudo if you don't have a valid password to start with (that's why it's a research project...) :P

This link may or may not help -- Mr. Google found it for me: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=14366

Comment

Working...
                              X