X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Little Help with Wine Please

Hi;

I'm trying to run a Windoze-based testing preparation program called FiveByFive using Wine. So far I've been able to create all the required directories using winecfg. When I installed the program, everything seemed to go well until I got the following Windoze error message:

Component 'Vsocx32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly

Then the standard OK button is displayed at the bottom.

How can I fix this problem? I'm using Wine-0.9.41 on a Kubuntu system.

Mark
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Re: A Little Help with Wine Please

You could try upgrading to the latest version of Wine. It's 0.9.46.
    For external use only.

Comment

Okay;

I installed the latest version of Wine (0.9.46) and I ran the application installation again. This time I got a more verbose error albeit the same problem exists:

C:\windows\system32\VSOCX32.OCX

Unable to register the DLL/OCX: LoadLibrary failed; code 126.
      Module not found.

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to proceed anyway (not recommended),
      or Abort to cancel installation.

And then of course I have the normal Abort, Retry, and Ignore buttons.

It looks like I'm just missing a Wine file that this installation program needs to install another DLL. The crazy thing is, the file EXISTS! I can see:

/media/data/windows/system32/VSOCX32.OCX

It's a 148Kb file sitting with all the other DLL files.

For some reason, I think there's an easy fix to this problem, but I'm not experienced enough with Wine to know what it is.

The application itself should be an easy one to run under Wine because unlike a game program that really eats system resources, this one is just a test preparation program.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated because I hate to boot Windoze just to study for an FCC license test.

Mark

"If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

have you checked that wine is actually capable of running this program?
        <br />

Comment

disturbedite;

No, the program I'm trying to install is not listed with those that Wine is known to work with, but again, if Wine can run some of the resource-hogging game programs it does so well, this test prep application I'm trying to install should not be a challenge. It's nothing more than a simple little database of questions and answers.

I think it's a Wine issue more so than a compatibility issue. The file that the install reports as a problem is sitting exactly where it should be; of course it could also be a component of that DLL file. The program installed 99% of the way and I think this one DLL file is the only issue for this app to run under Wine. I'm so close that I think there has to be a way to solve this problem.

Mark

Comment

The first thing I did was check the AppDB for this program. Didn't find anything.

Is your Wine installation in /media/data? For me, it's in ~/.wine.

I can't provide a whole lot more help. You could try one or more of the sources listed in Wine HQ's "Getting Help" listhere. (I'd recommend IRC.)

---

While typing this, mhumm2's added a new post, so I'll also say that if it's trying to install that OCX, you could try copying it to C:\windows\system32 and seeing if it works anyway.
            For external use only.

Comment

Re: A Little Help with Wine Please (More Info Added)

It turns out that VSOCX32.OCX is an active-X control library and the error I'm getting is not uncommon.

Yes, Sheeettin, my fake C:\windows file is on a data drive (/media/data/) instead of under .wine. I updated winecfg and everything seems to work fine -- wine "sees" the folders it must. Thanks for your comments.

Mark

Comment

It probably isn't something this simple but standard windows search order includes the directory the application is run from so try copying the file into the application directory that holds the executable you are running.

Comment

Opie;

The application I'm trying to install and run is in my fake c:\Program Files\FiveByFive. Okay, I just took a look at the hidden .wine folder and it seems there's a whole windoze image structure. Perhaps I should try to install the program from what wine has already set up. I'll let you know, thanks.

Mark

Comment

"The application I'm trying to install and run is in my fake c:\Program Files\FiveByFive. "

Then I would make a copy of the ocx file in your fake c:\Program Files\FiveByFive directory AND I would change to that directory before loading wine with the application.

"Okay, I just took a look at the hidden .wine folder and it seems there's a whole windoze image structure."

Yes the standard would be /home/yourusername/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/FiveByFive for your application. In general I would say you are better off sticking with the standard.

Comment

Originally posted by opie
                      Yes the standard would be /home/yourusername/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/FiveByFive for your application. In general I would say you are better off sticking with the standard.
                      And the place to put DLLs is in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32. And then hope...

Comment

"And the place to put DLLs is in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32. And then hope..."

I agree but it shouldn't hurt to put a copy of the file in the application directory. I have had a number of applications where things puked when dlls were in the system directories but functioned when I dumped a copy in the application directory.

Comment

Okay guys;

I reconfigured back to the original windoze file heirarchy and I also copied the OCX active-X file into the same director as the program itself. Still no joy.

Again, I've seen a few others with the same problem, with the same active-x file. I really don't think this is application specific except for the fact that this windoze app is calling for this particular active-X file. Maybe Wine just needs to find a way to "fake-out" program to make it "think" active-X is up and running. I don't think this program even uses active-X controls anyway. I do, however, appreciate the help. Thanks.

Mark

Comment

my standard answer:
                            try Crossover office, it (ie its wine version) runs lots of things wine cannot.
                            Its hard to make wine cover all possibilities in all sorts of win proggies.

I can send you the deb for CO if you want.

Comment

What you might also consider doing is running Windows inside a virtual machine. There's a nice free one called VirtualBox, which, if I'm not mistaken, is available in the repos.
                              For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                              X