This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CompizFusion and window decorations

Good morning folks. I've struggled with getting window decorations, borders, title-bars etc working with Compiz Fusion. CF works fine in other respects - just not the decorations!

I've tried various things like the following lines in xorg.conf.
    Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
    EndSection

I've tried installing emerald, and using different lines in the Decorator plugin for Compiz Fusion.

What I really need is some description about how compiz fusion calls the window-decorator, and how to test that each part works ....or how to troubleshoot each component to find my problem.

Any good resources that you can recommend?

Re: CompizFusion and window decorations

This link may be helpful.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

as compiz (and the wiki page linked to above) is somewhat gnome-centric, you may want to run compiz with some different commands, making sure you have the package compiz-kde installed:

Code:
      compiz --replace && kde-window-decorator
      this will run compiz with a kde-friendly window decoration, but is not very fancy or themeable

if you want to run emerald themes, you have to run compiz in KDE like this:

Code:
      compiz --replace && emerald --replace
      I just did a reinstall after some HD issues, and I don't have my nvidia drivers installed/configured yet, so my commands may not be exactly correct, but i think they are. You may need to run the second command set as 2 commands, it seemed to work correctly for me then:
      Code:
      compiz --replace
      emerald --replace
      If you have problems and need to get back to a normal desktop, you can enter this command in the KMenu's Run dialog:
      Code:
      kwin --replace
      which should save you from killing the X server/logging out. It can take a few moments for your kicker, etc to re-emerge, it does on my Athlon XP 2700/GF 6200 system.

I will edit this post as I finish my install/configuration/recovery

Another interesting blog post from a KDE guy on compiz can be found here

**addendum**
      In Gutsy at least, using compiz 0.5, if you have package emerald installed (which isn't by default when installing compiz-kde) simply running 'compiz --replace' should be all you need. But if it isn't then there will be no window decorations. Should be the same in feisty, assuming it ids the latest stable version and not the standard Feisty version.

Comment

Thanks guys... I've actually already tried these things, but I tried them again just in case - and no joy.

Even "compiz --replace && kde-window-decorator" gives me no decorations.

It might be related that I can't get emerald themes to load, even when Compiz isn't running - have you heard of that issue before? I'll do a bit of digging

Comment

did you get it fixed? I have not use compiz, but i am using beryl and i had some issues like yours when i run beryl with defaults settings. To fix it, i had to force it to render with AiXGL, then it works. Not sure beryl and compiz work the same way or not, but you can try.

Comment

I have exactly the same problem as you. What graphics card are you using and what errors do you get when running compiz --replace and emerald --replace?

Comment

Wait, promblem solved

Running sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals -d 24 and restarting x solved it for me.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
              X