This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scripts in Kubuntu

Though I'm new to Kubuntu I have written some scripts that I would like to make permanent. From my research I see in Gnome that you can do this with the system preferences but in KDE the system settings module doesn't provide for this.

Be that as it may what I'm more curious about is writing, installing, and executing scripts in Kubuntu. It is quite apparent that each distro of Linux has it's own set of quirks concerning scripts.

What I'm hoping for is that someone (developer or Kubuntu guru) would publish a Kubuntu specific tutorial on scripting. For he record I'm using Feisty 7.04 on a AMD64X2 processor. Am I totally off base or is this a reasonable request?

cbp

Re: Scripts in Kubuntu

What scripts to you want to 'make permanent?' Is it safe to assume, that you mean, by permanent, scripts that you would like to run upon boot?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Scripts in Kubuntu

Scripts to run on a login to KDE go in ~/.kde/Autostart.
      To run on boot, rather than KDE login, you need to read up on System V init. Look in anything with "init" or "rc" in the name in /etc, especially the readmes. There's also documentation on the Internet and in man pages.

As for scripting itself, look here (called "beginner's guide", but it's more useful as a reference). Wikipedia also comes in helpful, see the article on Bash (and the man page, of course).
      For external use only.

Comment

Working...
      X