This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OGG FLAC Encoding Question

I did a search and after a scan couldn't find a similar question.

When I used my eMac, I could encode a .flac file and put it inside an .ogg container using an app called Max. I did that so i could listen to flac music inside iTunes (since it plays ogg but not flac with the added extentions). Is there a way to do this under Kubuntu? Obviously, I can encode in Flac or OGG but I can't seem to find a way to encase a Flac file inside an OGG container. I use iTunes on Windows when I'm dwelling on the dark side and it would be nice if I could use the same files across both OSes. I'd really rather not try to move everything to an external and re encode on my slow eMac.

Re: OGG FLAC Encoding Question

You should not need to encode anything. Most, if not all distros come with flac support by default (libflac). If it's not installed for you, download this package (libflac7 for feisty) and you should be good to go.

Comment

heh, "the dark side"....an accurate (& clever!) description...
      <br />

Comment

He is one of us.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I really like Kubuntu, first distro I ever tried was PPC Yellow-Dog and nothing, nothing worked. It was litterally that shattered glass sound constantly. I almost threw in the towel on Linux but Kubuntu worked almost effortlessly for me. Kubuntu caused me to build the PC I am now using, I certainly wouldn't have put in the effort just to run Windows.

Comment

wise this one is...
            <br />

Comment

Okay, I thought I'd figured it out using konsole but I'm just getting a file that has a bit of static and nothing else.

flac --ogg --endian=little --sign=signed --channels=2 --bps=16 --sample-rate=44100 -5 Thump.flac

I'm not very proficient with konsole but I'm willing to learn. I'm just trying to get the flac file in an ogg transport layer (apparently) so can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong in the above code?

Comment

You may want to try "soundkonverter", which is a graphical frontend for your audio conversion commands, so you can mess with formats and bitrates easily. "sox" is also a command-line tool. See what gives you the best result.

Comment

Yeah I've tried audioconverter and PACPL (awesome program), but they wouldn't give me the end result I wanted.

Figured it out though, I had the right commands but I needed to start with a WAV file and it came out perfectly. Of course iTunes for Windows won't play ogg encased flac files like iTunes for OS X will. So I'm just going to scratch the idea and find a flac player for Windows.

Stupid iTunes for Windows.

Comment

iTunes for Windows won't play ogg encased flac files like iTunes for OS X will
                    Maybe you need to install additional codec. Search for "k-lite" over the net, they have a mega-codec-pack, this normaly solves all issues regarding media playback in windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X