This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok freezing desktop error

Ive been having problems with Amarok where the entire desktop will freeze and the only way to recover is to turn the computer off, or occasionally it will allow me to press the top right exit button and ask if I want to terminate or keep running. After pressing play or any button in Amarok the task bar on the bottom will go blank and I wont be able to click on anything at for a long time or until I restart. Every time I start Amarok it shows "Updating collection" but even leaving the computer alone for 8 hours it still hadnt finished updating and it never took more than 10 seconds before. Ive been able to press stop updating and Amarok will freeze for a while, but once after letting it alone for a while it had stopped updating but then screwed up the entire desktop as soon as I tried to load my playlist. I have no clue what the problem is or how to fix it, Ive tried to reinstall but b/c its embedded into the desktop I cant do that without uninstalling the entire desktop as well. Is there some way that I can install a different Linux and transfer my files without using a portable harddrive? I need to fix this because music is the only thing I do on the computer besides my HW, and failing fixing this Im going to reinstall and lose my 12 GB's of music I have on my computer. Any help on fixing my problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Amarok freezing desktop error

The usual cause of a problem like this is something wrong with the database or a file that's weird in some way. You could try posting to the Amarok forum, but last I checked, it wasn't too lively...

Anyway, let's try the easy solution first. Either delete the directory ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok or rename it, e.g. to "amarok~". See what that does.
    For external use only.

Comment

Re: Amarok freezing desktop error

you were very helpful sir. I thought about editing the configs but didnt know what would cause that and so didnt mess with them yet. But I never even thought to just delete the whole amarok config folder. So far it seems to work great, Ill restart and run it like I usually do for a day or so and if I still see any problems Ill post again, but for now it looks like that fixed it. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
      X