This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine doesn't seem to work

I installed Wine through the SystemSettings->Advanced->WindowsApplications method. It asked me to install Wine and I did.

I have WineFile and WineNotepad which seem to work OK. But nothing else will launch. I can click on ".exe" files and select run with Wine, but nothing happens.

Help?

Re: Wine doesn't seem to work

There are still more windows applications that can't run on wine then those that will.
    Have you tried something simple like notepad.exe from windows or putty.exe?
    Another approach is to start the application from a terminal, that way it's easier to see the errors.
    Otherwise, what is the application you would like to run?

Comment

OK, I tried running an exe from the konsole and got some errors telling me that several DLLs are missing. Guess that's the problem.

I was trying to run Visio. Didn't work.

Are there several core libraries (like MFC42.DLL) that should be somewhere in the system but aren't? Or am I just out of luck?

Comment

well, wine contains some dll's "built in" essentially, without going into details and to keep the explanation simplified. some dll's you have to download and place in the appropriate wine directories.
        <br />

Comment

So does this mean that if I can identify each missing DLL, I could go find them on my Windows machine and just copy them to the appropriate location in my Wine pseduo-file system? That doesn't sound like it will work right.

Comment

It will.
            They go in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32.

EDIT: Oh, and if you can't find the DLL, your Windows machine doesn't have it, or you don't have access to a Windows machine, chances are you can get it from dll-files.com. (I know it looks shady, but it isn't. Don't click on any ads or external links, though.)
            For external use only.

Comment

Originally posted by gypsy98101
              So does this mean that if I can identify each missing DLL, I could go find them on my Windows machine and just copy them to the appropriate location in my Wine pseduo-file system? That doesn't sound like it will work right.
              yes.
              <br />

Comment

Ok, I'll try it. I don't want to sound skeptical or anything, but doesn't the version of the DLL matter or anything? What about the Windows version?

Comment

Probably not.
                  There aren't too many updates to DLLs. Even less frequent are version imcompatabilities.

There's a very low chance that you'll run into Windows version incompatabilities within Wine itself, though problems with the program seeing the Windows version may cause problems. (The shown Windows version can be changed.)
                  For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                  X