X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play DVD.ISO

Hi all,
    I have a program that is on a dvd in myfile.iso. I mounted the dvd with sudo mount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0

Konqueror can see the iso file and when a click it k3b is opened.

I want to play this file, it is a language tutorial program. In Winx? I use a program Daemon Tools, but I'm moving away from win.

Any help greatly appreciated,
    Jim A.

Re: Play DVD.ISO

kaffeine can play disc isos. you don't even have to mount it.
    <br />

Comment

I still have to mount it and Kaffieine says it can 't read it. Since it is a program and not a movie, I wonder if that's it.

Comment

I think you mean there is some data inside the iso you can play/ display with a Windows program called Diamond Tools?
        And now you are looking for a Linux equivalent?

When you click on a mounted .iso this should definitely not start up k3b, you should be able to see the content, not the .iso wrapper.

So all together you'll have to be a lot clearer about what your problem is.

Comment

Tuenis,
          Thanks for your help., the program I use in Win is similar I believe to diamond tools.

DAEMON Tools is a virtual cd/dvd-rom optical storage media emulator. It is able to emulate nearly all known copy protections on the market today.
          http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/download.php

Yes, I think what I'm seeing after I mount the drive is the iso wrapper.

Comment

When you click on the ISO, you're getting K3b for burning the ISO to a disc. Wrong operation.

In Linux, no drive emulator is necessary. Linux can mount ISO 9660 (CD) filesystems like a real device!
            The command is "sudo mount -o loop [image] [mount point]". For example, if I'm in a directory with example.iso and I want to mount it to my ISO mount point at /media/iso, I would use "sudo mount -o loop example.iso /media/iso". Unmounting works the same as with normal devices.

(PS: you might not want to mount an ISO as read-write, which is the default. In that case, use "-o loop,ro" to mount it read-only.)
            For external use only.

Comment

Note also that if the directory you put as [mount point] above does not exist, you should create it first

Comment

Originally posted by adamsjw2
                I still have to mount it and Kaffieine says it can 't read it. Since it is a program and not a movie, I wonder if that's it.
                sorry, i guess i missed that part...
                <br />

Comment

Originally posted by JamesM
                  Note also that if the directory you put as [mount point] above does not exist, you should create it first
                  Oops, forgot to mention that part. Ah well, mount would've complained about it anyway.
                  For external use only.

Comment

I appreciate all the help, but it still doesn't work. Here's what I do.

1) Insert DVD
                    2) cd /media/iso
                    3) sudo mount -o loop rsluv2.iso /media/iso

All I get is the mount man page.

I guess where I'm confused is I've always had to mount /dev/scd0 when using my cd/dvd rom.......well, Kubuntu always auto mounts for me.

I'm not a noob, but this one has me stumped. Hang in there with me,
                    Thanks,
                    Jim

Comment

The problem is that the ISO isn't in /media/iso.
                      Either specify the entire path to it, or perform the mount from the directory it's in.

Why this is giving you the help message, I'm not sure...
                      For external use only.

Comment

SheeEttin,
                        The iso isn't in /media/iso it is on the dvd, which is a device. Since it isn't previously mounted would the location of the iso be:

/dev/scd0/name_of_iso.iso?

I'll give this a try, but in case I'm wrong, any suggestions are always welcome
                        Jim

Comment

Hold on. You've got an ISO on a DVD? Too much recursion for my tastes. (No wonder you haven't been given the right instructions.)

Anyway, first mount the DVD, e.g. "sudo mount /dev/sdc0 /media/cdrom0". Next, cd to the DVD ("cd /media/cdrom0"). Finally (and this is the clincher), mount the ISO, e.g. "sudo mount -o loop[,ro] example.iso /media/iso".

Question: why do you have the ISO on a DVD? You couldn't have just burned the ISO? (Or did you mean to, but wrote the ISO rather than make a disc from it?)

As a little side information, /dev holds the block device, primarily used for raw read/writes. /media holds the mounted media, i.e. the filesystem on the device.
                          For external use only.

Comment

Hmm, if Kiso is installed properly you can mount an iso file as a virtual drive from within KDE.

Right click on name.iso -> Actions -> Kiso -> Mount as virtual drive...

It's the... I am afraid of the terminal way...
                            Check out my Ⓥegan youtube channel PlantSugar
                            CV and gallery at grn.dk
                            Please add [SOLVED] to topic subject when topic is solved.

Comment

Better get used to the console. Can't use all of Linux without it.
                              For external use only.

Comment

Working...
                              X