This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok Will Not Stream Audio - SOLVED

Hi there all. Whenever I try to stream any audio using Amarok, I get the same error.

No suitable input plugin. This often means that the url's protocol is not supported. Network failures are other possible causes.

The error pops up immediately upon attempt. It doesn't appear to try to play the stream at all. This happens regardless of the fact that I had proxy settings set correctly (as confirmed by the fact that Amarok parsed the playlist of the stream I had entered into it), and the fact that I can play mp3s correctly from my hard drive.

It occurred to me perhaps this was a problem with the xine engine that it was running, so I compiled the newest one from their web site, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference. I can't even tell if amarok is really using that compiled version. How can I check? The plugin information in the settings just says it is using "libamarok_xine-engine." version "1".

Does anyone have any ideas as to what to try? I have tried playing at least 3 different sites (live365.com, jenny.fm, and several real audio based sites) and nothing has worked.

Re: Amarok Will Not Stream Audio

make sure you have libxine-extras installed too.
    <br />

Comment

It wasn't, but unfortunately installing it made no difference.

Comment

You should install "libxine-extracodecs" not "libxine-extras". This will hopefully solve your issues.

-aule

Comment

No, I've even tried reinstalling that one, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything. Assuming they were installed correctly, where would I look to see that those codecs were in the right place?

Comment

I looked around in amarok, but I can't find a list of plugins installed, sorry.

-aule

Comment

Originally posted by aule
              You should install "libxine-extracodecs" not "libxine-extras". This will hopefully solve your issues.

-aule
              sorry, thats what i meant.

-aule
              amarok doesn't have one. i believe the reason is cuz amarok uses xine for decoding and xine doesn't use plugins. (aside from the wincodecs).
              <br />

Comment

-aule
                amarok doesn't have one. i believe the reason is cuz amarok uses xine for decoding and xine doesn't use plugins. (aside from the wincodecs).
                [/quote]

I'm pretty sure it does, because otherwise why would you have to make sure libmad and all that was installed? In any case it doesn't matter in my case because...

SOLUTION!

In utter frustration, having tried everything I could think of, and leaning just short of reinstalling Kubuntu, I tried changing the proxy line in the engine config from

http://myproxy.com

to

myproxy.com

It worked.

I guess I should be happy, but I feel like a real fool. (: I guess firefox was reading the playlist and pushing the tracks onto Amarok, thus fooling me into thinking that Amarok's proxy settings were working.

So I guess we can take away a few lessions:

I need to stop assuming things. (:
                Amarok needs to have less misleading error messages.
                It needs to be smarter about parsing proxy strings.

Thanks for your help, guys. (:

Comment

Working...
                X