X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boot problem

Hi,
    What happens is this. I boot up the system (asus m2v-mx with amd x64 4200+ with nvidia 7300GT 512 pcie). If I choose the normal boot I get all the way to just before the login screen then all I get it is either one long steady beep and then I have to power cycle the system or the system will reboot by itself.
    If I boot the system in recovery mode, I get to a command prompt (which is good) I then do "telinit 3" and at that point I get a login in screen and I can log in without a problem. I am just running the vesa driver for video since any attempt to use the nvidia drivers leaves me with pretty much a console based system. I have tried this on kernels 2.6.20-12-generic and 2.6.20-15-generic with and without video drivers and everything in between.
    Does anyone have a clue? Oh and this is with feisty x86_64.
    Thanks

Re: boot problem

What does telinit 3 do?

Comment

Telinit 3 boots me to a graphical login screen and allows me to login in and have a graphical desktop. It's the run level you usually have when you boot it up normally.

Comment

Originally posted by ppberns
        Telinit 3 boots me to a graphical login screen and allows me to login in and have a graphical desktop. It's the run level you usually have when you boot it up normally.
        Actually, in Kubuntu the normal runlevel is 2.
        Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Well regardless of which one it is (and there are multi user run levels 2,3,4,5) none of then start right at boot time for me.

Comment

Working...
          X