This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X nightmare

I think the main problem and annoyance of Linux is the display configuration, whenever I change a display card it takes lot of work to make it work properly. I was using an onboard Intel display, for trouble shooting purpose I installed an ATI PCI display, then the display starts at 640x480, I couldn't change it in system settings, it said the display module couldn't start. So I manually edit the xorg.conf, to remove unusable modes, and apt-get update/upgrade to get the correct library, but then X never come back again, it keep saying not enough video memory. My card has 8M on board but Kde detected only 256K, the card was correctly detected by the system during installation so how come this happen !? Even when the display card and monitor was correctly identified during installation, the first reboot will change it back to 640x480 and lost the monitor setting, I couldn't get the GUI even in recovery mode, this is worst than m$ safe mode !

I got a new one here, when I play VCD or DVD, the clock on taskbar will get corrupted and color change, so as the buttons on the applications, this reminds me the old days when display hardware can only support 256 color, one application window will takes over and corrupt the color on the other one.
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Re: X nightmare

I think it would help if you posted what is in xorg.conf and what your Intel integrated graphics card is.

Comment

It is not only happen on Intel chip set, I have the same problem with ATI as well, so I think this is a general issue and not only on Kubuntu, I tired many different distro and have similar problem, it is better that a standard VGA mode comes up if X doesn't start up properly after hardware change, just like what m$ do.
      Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Comment

I agree. Knoppix does something very similar.

It will try to startx 3 times. If it fails it will try again in vesa mode.

BTW, linux recovery mode is (and should remain) command line based. It could be a great idea to "add" a graphical safe mode, but not "upgrade" the command line one .

Also, there is no real need to mess with Xorg.conf in deban derivatives. Usually dpkg-reconfigure xerver-xorg does a better work than manual editing.

Javier.

Comment

Working...
        X