This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

command line

what do I enter into terminal to get to a folder on my desktop.. I know it will end with /home/miguel/desktop/and name of folder...but what comes before that?

Thanxs

Re: command line

The command you want is "change directory, which is cd.

So, from your /home/stillkill prompt, the command is
    Code:
    cd Desktop/folderthatIwannabein
    . You can verify that you have arrived with the "print working directory" command, pwd.

Comment

did not work for me... konsole>cd Desktop/folder name..did I get that right?..and at that piont will it bring up contents of folder?

I need to navigate to a folder on my desktop. to an installer file thingy..

Thanks

Comment

The command dibl put in the code box in his reply assumes you are already in your homedir. From any other place in your filesystem you must use the command you used in your first post, /home/username/desktop/folder.

The complete command would then be:
        Code:
        cd /home/username/desktop/folder
        (note: I'm not sure if some of these directories should be written with caps anywhere in them, try it out til you get it right)

This wil change your working directory to the directory you specified, but it will not print the contents of that folder. To do that, you must use the list command
        Code:
        ls

- Delphi

Comment

ok..come again?.. sorry about this, noobish ways.. but can we start from the begining.. open terminal and enter: cd /home/miguel/desktop/install_flash_player_9_linux...this does not work for me...I entered ls and got a list of files and folders inside my home folder..how do I pick one?

Comment

Linux is case sensitive, so you have to be very exact in what you type. I'm assuming that install_flash_player_9_linux is a file rather than a folder? Anyway, when you start Konsole, you will be in your user's home directory (/home/miguel). All you need to do to get to the Desktop folder is to enter the command

Code:
            cd Desktop
            or if you want to be extra extra sure

Code:
             cd ~/Desktop
            The ~ here is a shortcut to /home/username

Anyway, are you trying to install Flash 9 for Linux on Feisty? There's no need to manually do this. Just go to website that uses Flash and a script will run that will install it for you.
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

yes, thank god for the ~/ for us lazy ppl.
              <br />

Comment

BTW, if you are on a Spanish keyboard (that Miguel name...), ~ can be typed using ALT GR + 4.

Took me ages to discover that .

Javier.

Comment

Working...
                X