This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

su, kdesu

Ok I ran into another one. This started today after the latest round of updates. I go to menu click on synaptic and get message "Su returned with an error" It happens only when I try to run an app in gui mode. If I open a term and type it in manually I get promted for my password and then synaptic pops up. I checked my sudo file and thats ok. Anything else I can look for? I google it and came up with several things but none of which is my scenario.

Re: su, kdesu

I keep seeing references to the rule that "kdesu" is the proper terminology when running a Kubuntu GUI in super-user mode.

However, I use "sudo" and they all work anyway, so I dunno .....

Comment

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo has more details
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the link. I have to admit things aren't as cut and dry on my "unstable" system right now. It looks like I am going to take the plunge and just reload it but with the 64bit version. I would lke to wait for "gold" release but can't wait till they decide it's ready.
        The sudo issue I was seeing yesterday has not reared it's head today but I have been experiencing odd behavior with both network and video today. I think I have "fixed" and "patched" my system into a feeble old box.... :-)
        Well at least I have backups....................

Comment

The "official" doc about the use of sudo on Ubuntu is here:
          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Just note that Ubuntu implements/uses sudo and kdesu a bit differently from other distros.
          Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            I dunno .....
            Tz, tz, tz ... you're supposed to know (better) :P the more so as it is as easy as that:

# To call applications with a graphical frontend, you're supposed to use kdesu (or gksu)
            # To call applications without such "superficial additions", you're supposed to use sudo

Comment

Wow. If I would have known I was going to get slapped around by admitting I use sudo exclusively, I would have lied more...... :-) This is starting to remind me of being married!!!
              All joking aside, and I am joking so no flaming.... I do know there is a difference in using it but up until now there wasn't any problems do so. And just as mysteriously as it started, it stopped. My system is starting to scare me now so I am going to reload it. Have to quell the daemons....(pun intended)............

Comment

Just like marriage, sometimes you can get by with stuff, if you're careful ...

Comment

Originally posted by ppberns
                  My system is starting to scare me now
                  That's why some folks call it a "live" system: it's by far more (a)live than you would ever have dreamed of

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    I keep seeing references to the rule that "kdesu" is the proper terminology when running a Kubuntu GUI in super-user mode.

However, I use "sudo" and they all work anyway, so I dunno .....
                    there was a checkin some time ago for kdesu & maybe gksu too that basically implimented a long requested feature that kdesu or gksu (respectively) will be called if you use sudo for a gui app.
                    Originally posted by UnicornRider
                    Tz, tz, tz ... you're supposed to know (better) :P the more so as it is as easy as that:

# To call applications with a graphical frontend, you're supposed to use kdesu (or gksu)
                    # To call applications without such "superficial additions", you're supposed to use sudo
                    this is exactly right.
                    <br />

Comment

Working...
                    X