X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uname and vmware

Hi,
    Since upgrading to the latest kernel 2.6.20-13, I have run into a little problem with vmware. I am use to rerunning the vmware script each time I upgrade the kernel but this time it's different.
    Now when I run the vmware script it can't find the include files. The include directory does not match the runnng kernel name (or at least the name vmware is looking for). I looked into this and where vmware looks to find 2.6.20-13-generic it finds instead 2.6.20-13-386. Now in the past kubuntu has been ok with keeping the names the same but it looks like it's changing.
    So anyone have a work around for this besides booting to a lesser kernel or changing the vmware scripts?

Thanks

Re: uname and vmware

Merely an "improvised" attempt to respond to your question ...:

How about a symbolic link from what VMware expects to what actually exists,

Code:
    sudo ln -s [somewhere]/2.6.20-13-386 [somewhere]/2.6.20-13-generic
    or simply providing the appropriate path when being asked for by the script?

Comment

Hi,
      Yeah I thought of that. Even gave it the fully qualified path still a no go. Vmware is pretty fussy that way. The last time I went through something similar, I had to use a seperate work around script which of course I no longer have. Sigh...... Thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ppberns
        a seperate work around script
        http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/ (?)

Comment

hey ppberns, try the steps from rbmorse in the following link. they worked just fine for me in the latest kernel.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=338305

Comment

Hi Thanks for the links. The first one is the one I had before and thats for a networking problem (sob) and I tried the last one with the edit but here are the results:
            What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
            kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
            kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.20-13/include

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.6.20-13) does not match your running
            kernel (version 2.6.20-13-386). Even if the module were to compile
            successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.

and thats where I am at for now.

Comment

Did you remember to install "linux-headers-2.6.20-13"? When the headers are installed, a link is created in /lib/modules/2.6.20-13-generic/build to /usr/src/linux. The vmware-config.pl script does a "uname -r" and will then find the /usr/src/linux/include location.

Comment

Hi Tlayton

Yep in my earlier post you can see that the headers are there. I even point vmware to them and it still complains.
                I know I am missing something really small here but you know how it is when you look at something for a long time.............

Comment

ppberns, looks like I had the same same problem as you.

I had vmware install one one machine and not install on the other. On the machine where vmware would not install the kernel was 2.6.20-13-386 SMP and the headers /usr/src where 2.6.20-13 UP. I think there have been a few posts around place with people having problems with 2.6.20-13 for a short period of time.

Last night I updated the machine that was giving me trouble which gave me a 2.6.20-13-generic SMP kernel and a matching set of headers in /usr/src. Vmware now installs.

Comment

Hi,

Thats the kernel level I am having issues with. Today I am upgrading and it looks like kernel is up to -14 so I will give that a shot.

Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Just curious, did you ever get this one figured out?

I've just upgraded to -14-generic, including the headers. I ran vmware-config.pl (having left in the changes from the above link in the vmmon.tar module) and everything was still ok. Some day, I do need to attempt again a fresh install without changes to the tar and see if it works.

Comment

Hi,

Yes today I ran the upgrade and after it installed the -14-generic kernel I ran the .pl script and sure enough it went like there was nothing wrong.
                        Chalk it up to one of lifes little mysteries..... Thanks for asking.

Comment

Working...
                        X