This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't enable eth1

EDIT, OCT 01: Thanks for having a look folks, but I've installed Xubuntu instead.
    EDIT #2: Thread restarted thanks to lingenfr's reply.

I can't enable eth1 (lan). Everything I can think to check is fine, but in Configure Network Settings eth1 shows up as disabled. Select enable, and eth1 is enabled briefly before it resets to disabled.

Possibly related is I also have no internet on eth0 on startup. In Configure Network Settings eth0 shows as enabled, but i have to disable it and then enable it again to actually get the net.

The background story: all I'm trying to do is set up Kubuntu on my second box. Main box is Ubuntu. Both machines have two network cards. One each for independent internet connections, and one each to talk to each other through a crossover cable.

I'm reasonably sure I have all the configurations correct -- I have no problem setting up for Ubuntu & Win or Win & Win. And yup the card works fine and the cable is connected.

So, what am I missing? It's such a basic stonewall whatever it is. I don't get it.

Re: Can't enable eth1

If you are using dhcp, you need to either disable eth0 or unceck the box to have it load at startup. Then check the box to load eth1 at startup. Your router won't hand out two IPs to the same box.

Comment

There's no router. Each box has two cards. In each box eth0 is DHCP and connected to the internet. The second cards are fixed to 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2, and they connect to each other via a crossover cable.

It's a simple setup that give each box an independent net connection so the other box doesn't have to be on, while the LAN is trivial to secure because it is strictly local between the separate second cards.

Works fine on other set-ups, but not in Kubuntu.

I should add that eth0 also ran fine on startup under server install, and under kde-core. It was only after adding kubuntu-desktop that I've got trouble.

It's like something isn't being managed correctly by KNetworkManager, but danged if I can see it.

Comment

Setting the card up in your interfaces file and using knetworkmanager is a no-no, it is one or the other. If you are not going to be changing networks on a regular basis, I wouldn't fool with knetworkmanager, just use System Settings.

Comment

Aw fer... Thank you! That solves the same trouble I was having with the replacement Ubuntu install. (Didn't like Xubuntu.)

Now that I read the package descriptions for KNetworkManager, network-manager, & network-manager-gnome, I see that's all for roaming as you say. I had figured those packages were just the GUI for general configuration.

I've removed network-manager & network-manager-gnome, and eth0 works on startup again.

What's made this more confusing is my main box also has those packages, and two cards, but has never had this trouble. Why's that? Has it anything to do with the main box being an upgrade from 6.10, rather than a fresh install of 7.04?

Meanwhile, why is network-manager even set up on a default install? I can't be the only person that's bitten. Does it only cause trouble for fixed desktops when they have more than one card?

Right now I'm trying to sort out why eth1 is coming up as DISABLED on start. No problem with eth1 on the main box.

Comment

I don't know all the answers, but knetworkmanager works OK. You just need to comment out the interfaces you want to manage with knm in your interfaces file. I only use it when I am on the road. I find it connects slower and less often than setting up the interfaces in System Settings. There are quite a few posts about knm problems, so I think it still has a ways to go. Not criticizing the developers, just an observation. Glad you are working.

Comment

Well, thanks for having a look. Getting rid of it certainly solved the trouble for my non-roaming box.

Back to eth1... turns out I have the dreaded intel 82557/8/9 using e100. This card has a long history of Linux troubles, though none in Windows.

I've been at this for days. I'm pretty sure I've read everything there is to read. Not everybody has the same problem with it. There's about three solutions that work(ed) for some people sometimes. I'm one of the folks that none of those solutions has worked for, including waving a chicken over the box and flashing the BIOS.

What makes this a real gem isn't just that the card works fine under Windows, but I've discovered I can also get it to work under Puppy Linux, the old Suse 8.0 eval CD, and Knoppix 3.1...

So... just what could Ubuntu-type distros do differently that keeps this card from being enabled?

Comment

Working...
              X