Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I share files locally with other Kubuntu machines behind the DSL router?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do I share files locally with other Kubuntu machines behind the DSL router?

Why not use Adept or synaptic? it is nice and safe till you feel more confident really. How do you find out what to install, say if you are looking for a game or some specific type of program but don't know the name?

Comment

Re: How do I share files locally with other Kubuntu machines behind the DSL router?

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread but I've read through it and in fact, I've been looking forward to trying out SSH. I do have a few questions though. Back when I used Windows mostly, I used VNC for the home computers (could control any from my workshop) and I used RemotelyAnywhere when I was away from home to get access to my main machine. I know VNC can still be used under Linux, but what I want is a method to remotely log into my machine and use it just as I would like I'm sitting at it (Just like VNC and RMA does). Can this be achieved? If so, if it's not asking too much, can a howto be made so that I can attempt it?

Frankly, with all my Linux use, I've yet to try that bit out.
      Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

I just wanted to give an update.... I've installed openssh-server on my machine without hickups, but haven't been able to do so on the other machine because the person using it is very busy <eyeroll>. I've also installed samba while at it.

So I have to wait and see. I've tried so far to create a network folder, but without the other machine ready that is an empty task...

Princey, unfortunately I can't help you as you probably know a lot more than me.

Comment

That's ok. I found a few howto's to enable remote networking although none really matches what I had in mind. I just discovered today that the other Linux machine sees and accesses the printer on the SAMBA network I have set up. File sharing works flawlessly that way. Thought I'd let you know that you can use SAMBA to share files locally and it's not as hard as folks make it out to be.
          Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user #419401

Comment

Re: How do I share files locally with other Kubuntu machines behind the DSL rout

Princey,
            Glad things are working. Samba is only needed in a mixed OS network, so for linux only networks, it is over-kill. The resources it takes up could be used better. You can network the printer with Cups which is installed by default, again not requiring SAMBA.

If you do need samba, try administering it with a GUI interface SWAT, which is in the repos. This takes a lot of the headache away.

JA

Comment

OMG, the fish thingy works, so I'm very happy. But wait!

I've created a secure shell network folder and been able to see uh, well, the entire Desktop of the other machine. Huh? Actually I wanted to just have access to one folder I created on the other Desktop, but apparently I now have entire sudo privilege to the other machine, and vice versa. This overwrites all permissions the other user has set to all his folders and everything?

I'm not very happy with that responsibility, because this means if someone has compromised my machine they got his too. And even though we are husband and wife (it's the wife you've been talking to:-), we respect each others privacy, or to put it better, *because* we are husband and wife we respect each others privacy. I wanted only access to one folder created on the Desktop, the secure shell network folder should then point to that folder on the other machine only. But if I remove that folders name from the url in Konqueror, the entire Desktop and therefore all files of the other user appear.

In the process of setting up a secure network folder to the other machine, it asked me for a password. I put the sudo password of the other user because I didn't know any better. Is there a way to set the password to make it different from the other machines sudo password?

Comment

Not to be too argumentative, but if you want to share files in some form of structured way, then you need some file-sharing overhead. Samba isn't any more overhead than any other file sharing protocol. And Samba is just a file sharing protocol. It works in Linux-only networks (like mine) just as well as anything else. It happens to be compatible with Windows file sharing, but I don't see why that's a reason not to use it. Just my two cents.

I'm no expert, but it appears that the issue you are having with access to your husband's entire filesystem rather than just one folder is likely because SSH is just a remote login protocol, not a file sharing protocol. The FISH thingy just piggybacks an ftp-like file sharing protocol through the SSH tunnel. Which is fine if all you want is to be able to login remotely and retrieve a file. But if you want much more control over the experience, then you may need to move up to a real file sharing protocol. All of them add a level of complexity, which is the tradeoff for increased control. I recommend Samba just because it's the one I'm familiar with.

But to keep using the SSH thing, I guess one other thing you might be able to do is modify the access privileges of the login account so that the logged-in user doesn't have access to anything but a single folder. I've never done that but it might be possible. So in other words, on HUSBAND machine, create a WIFE login account but only grant the WIFE account read/write access to a single folder on HUSBAND machine. Flipside for the WIFE machine. Maybe that would work.

Comment

Re: How do I share files locally with other Kubuntu machines behind the DSL rout

gypsy,
                  Samba is not a file sharing protocol at all. Samba is a very resource intensive (memory, cpu cycles, disk space) program that makes directory services, directory authentication, file storage, and printing services available in a mixed OS network. That's why large volumes for administration and using have been written. SMB is the protocol which works with Samba.

from www.samba.org :Samba is an Open Source/Free Software suite that has, since 1992, provided file and print services to all manner of SMB/CIFS clients, including the numerous versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems.

The "Fishy thing" as you call it is not ftp protocol, but an ssh client (more accurately and KIO slave, which may and may not be tunneled. cf: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konqueror

Comment

adamsjw2:
                    Thanks for posting those worthless debaters points that did nothing to help the original poster solve the problem she was trying to solve. Nice waste of time there. Hope you feel better.

Comment

I am going through the interesting threads of this and other forums to enlarge my knowledge. If I find something interesting which could help me in the understanding and administration of my own system, I search for more in Google, Howtos etc. For me, the pros and cons of using Samba are important. So, I am quite grateful for postings like the one from adamsjw2.

Comment

I've also installed Samba on both machines, but I am running into some troubles getting it set up, so that will take some time to figure out and I'm definitely motivated to find out more. This thread has pushed my knowledge of GNU/Linux forward in a huge move, not so on the level of details yet, but two new branches were added to the tree, a very positive experience and I want to thank everyone again who has participated in this thread.

It's like more connections were made between prior isolated pieces of the puzzle, and once I've gained detailed knowledge, I will definitely write a Howto "for idiots" like myself on the issue of LANing, both in English and German. As more and more households have more than one computer, the need for secure LAN-networking is increasing. Isn't it strange that one can share files and bookmarks easily through web 2.0 apps with people on other continents but not with your husband, sister or kid next door?

Now that more and more people have stretched their mind to far away places in the web which was and is a *great* experience - I don't know about you, but I've spent some fun times in Indian chat rooms - people are coming back to their neighborhood and their homes. It's a balancing thing that's going on. The web is going to become more "natural" this way, because those "local" networks will also interact with other local networks of similar setup. I have that feeling. There will still always be the myspaces (unfortunately, since myspace is mainly just an eyesore IMO) and flickrs, coexisting with the more local networks and the most local network of all, the one at home.

Actually I wanted to make a grand finishing now, but I've lost the line. Good thing I'm not standing on stage someplace.

Comment

LFS & Utnubuk,
                          The great thing about user forums is helpful, accurate information. I've set up dozens of linux networks over the past 7 years and had to rely on others to help when I've hit a snag. Samba is very powerful, but for most home networks, there are easier solutions. Any other info I can give just post/ask.

Comment

Ok I rember.

Home. I believe there are more and more Linux users like myself who have not yet and perhaps never will have a deep interest in the technical side and who then miss out on the huge scale of functionality that linux offers. A functionality that is much more present than in Windows, IMO, and more securely, but one does need connected information. It really is like a puzzle, slowly the general image is appearing. It took me over a year shyly looking for solving my problem and I discarded it and just sent images or texts or urls with (unencrypted) email, because that's what I knew. I guess there is a certain tolerance ratio which then collapses eventually and you just go about changing things. This is true for many people I suspect, and I'm just one of those daring "idiots" who come forward eventually. I've always been wondering what I could possibly do to give back to FOSS, and I think I've realized what I can do. I think I will be able to mediate between different thinking structure, like an interpreter between those who manage detailed yet highly abstract information, and those who learn better in socialized settings.

That's actually not my grand finish, but I don't think I'll ever remember that one:-)

Comment

Once you have Samba installed, what you need to do is enable file sharing in the system settings.

System Settings -> Sharing -> "Enable Local Network File Sharing" (you should have to enter your password here.

Once that is done, pick a folder in your Home folder, perhaps you should just create a new folder called "Shared Folder" or something. It needs to be in your Home folder for the permissions to work right.

Then you should right click the folder you just created and select "Share"

Now you should have a dialog box with two options "Not Shared" and "Shared". Click "Shared".

That should be it. If it doesn't work, ask again and maybe we can help you fix it.

Comment

The reason I use SAMBA and not NFS is because I do share my internet with a neighbour who runs Windows. Until I convince her to use Linux (she'll need a new comp as hers is already dying) I have to run SAMBA as we both share our music collection. She's a 2007 girl when it comes to music, and I'm a 60,70,80's guy when it comes to music although I'm way younger than that would suggest. Maybe I'll get a machine that's no longer needed by my clients and set it up as a file server, until then, I have to use SAMBA.

To utnubuk, I can point you with a step by step tutorial to get SAMBA up and running in less than 5 mins. So, if you hit a rough spot, I'd be more than willing to share my knowledge with you.

Comment

Working...
                                X