X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent Network Connection

Hi All,

I have been using Kubuntu since Breezy and have not really had any problems in the past. Last week, I did a network upgrade to Feisty and it went pretty well. However, I was having some problems afterward with my network. Basically, I was having some intermittent problems accessing servers on the internet; some servers were consistently accessible (eg. google) but others wouldn't come up at all (eg. slashdot). Other machines on the same network were not experiencing any problems accessing these websites (only the computer with Feisty).

Intermittent is the best word I can think of but it's not quite right. There doesn't seem to be any correlation to time and I can be simultaneously accessing google while I can't access slashdot. It seemed to be more dependent on which site was being accessed and there were a few that would partially but not completely render.

After I started having problems, I downloaded the Feisty live cd and I have the same problems with it as I did with the full install. Some sites are consistently accessible and others not at all.

I did a little bit of investigation and the only thing that I could find wrong was bad checksums in some of the HTTP packets (using Wireshark/ethereal). I couldn't find any errors in the logs or with dmesg.

For reference, my system is based on an Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe with a Marvell lan controller (88E8053).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone heard of this before?

Thanks for all your help.

Re: Intermittent Network Connection

Possibly some good news; I think I might have found a fix for my problems. I tried it using the live CD and my connection went from broken with weird problems to working immediately.

Based on this post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=feisty
    I executed the following command as root:
    Code:
    echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling
    The post on the Ubuntu forum references another page. I didn't totally understand everything but it sounds like they've changed how some of the tcp packets are handled and buggy routers might be destroying them in Feisty but earlier distros are okay.

I need to do some more testing tomorrow but the initial results suggest that this fixes the problem I'm having.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Re: Intermittent Network Connection

Hey,
      I had similar issues with spotty network connection, seemed to be triggered
      when I browsed samba shares. sudo ifdown eth0 && sudo ifup eth0 would
      reset the connection, with error msgs about dhclient already running.
      Clicking on KNetworkManager, Options, Disable Wireless seems to have fixed it.
      So far I've moved about 15gigs over the lan with no eth0 lockup. I also blacklisted
      IPv6 since it was beefing about no IPv6 router present in dmesg.
      BTW this is a wired desktop, Kubuntu Feisty install, topped off with Beryl.
      Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
      X