This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie install question-grub

I have win2000 on my first partition and an additional NTFS partition. I want to install Ubunto on the next several partitions but want to use GAG as my multiboot loader. It requires, I think, that GRUB is loaded in the boot partition in which I load Ubunto. Where in the Live install process can I elect to do this? Thanks.

Re: Newbie install question-grub

Originally posted by ahurd
    I have win2000 on my first partition and an additional NTFS partition. I want to install Ubunto on the next several partitions but want to use GAG as my multiboot loader. It requires, I think, that GRUB is loaded in the boot partition in which I load Ubunto. Where in the Live install process can I elect to do this? Thanks.
    It is a little more obvious if you use the Alternate Install CD, but the Live CD does have the option. It's an "Advanced" button that appears in the lower right corner of one of the last installation screens, when you are about to place Grub. You'll want to point it to the same partition where you mounted "/".

Comment

See Herman’s page on GAG:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/

FWIW, I tried it a year ago. Boy was that a mess – it sure goofed up for me, big time. It is basically untested.
      I forget what Herman says, but I think he had a much better result from it than I.

You do have the option of using GRUB as a boot manager. I put GRUB files on its own partition, and from there it handles the menu.lst and all booting of OSes on two HDDs.

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
      Scroll down to:
      How to make a separate “GRUB boot partition.” (Dedicated to the GRUB files and make your PC boot from those GRUB files.) 7-8-07

If you do go GAG, it would be interesting to hear your experience with it.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

To dibl.

Is this true for Ubuntu MMC as well?

Comment

To Qqmike

Got the floppy configured and running. So far so good (and easy)

Comment

Working...
          X