This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Please!

I am new to Linux. I currently have windows XP and windows Vist HP on a dual boot setup, but was thinking about replacing one or both of them with Linux. the only live cd I knew of was Knoppix, so I tried knoppix 4.0, but that had some issues. It hung during boot when it detected the pcmcia slot and started crdmgr. It did manage to boot in safe mode, but no hardware was detected at all...
    So I read some reviews and found that Ubuntu was supposed to be easy to use etc etc. and that Kubuntu used the KDE desktop, which I prefer.

I tried to live boot Kubuntu and the computer wers away as the cd-rom does its stuff and then it initializes the drivers and whatever and then it goes back to the kubuntu screen and then the screen goes black and hangs. I then tried pressing the power button and nothing happened. I pressed it again and then there was a sound and the screen went garbled and grey/blue. Thinking it was a display problem I booted using graphics safe mode and then it hung at sort of the same place and when I press the power button then it ejects the cd and waits for enter.

I have tried the boot options vga=771, gdth=disable:y, noapic nolapic without success. they either hang straight away or at the stage "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (104,1).

THe system is an LG LW65 Laptop.
    Pentium M 2.0Ghz
    1Gb RAM
    100GB HDD
    15.4" display 1280x800
    ATi X700 512Mb

Any help would be very much appreciated...

oh and when I ask for graphics options, it only goes up to 1024x768x32, if that's a help...

Re: Help Please!

It's that #*$%@ ATI card, I'm afraid. When you get to the "frozen" screen, I'm pretty sure that if you do Alt-F1, you'll get the console (Command Line Interface, aka "text prompt").

If you had installed Kubuntu and then had the problem, I would tell you to do like this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

But I'm not sure how to make the Live CD work when it can't recognize your card well enough to do a simple VESA display system.

If you have a spare hard drive to play with, I'd recommend you download the "Alternate Install" ISO, burn a CD, and use that to install Kubuntu and play with it on the spare drive. That's what I did when I had your situation .... :P

Comment

Working...
    X