Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I make Kubuntu fonts look as good as Ubuntu's?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I make Kubuntu fonts look as good as Ubuntu's?

I've recently converted my Dell XP machine to Linux. I have Ubuntu (7.04) and Kubuntu on my internal drive. I like the configurability of KDE, but the fonts are seriously ugly compared to those on Ubuntu. Right now I mainly use Ubuntu for that reason; the Ubuntu fonts are very crisp, while the Kubuntu ones look stretched.

It's possible that all I need to do is point to the right fonts, but I've tried nearly everything I can think of or find in the forums. Ubuntu's font menu claims the font it uses is called "Sans". Yeah, right.

It feels like there ought to be a simple solution. Does anyone know what that is?
    Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Re: How do I make Kubuntu fonts look as good as Ubuntu's?

If you didn't like the fonts available in a standard installation, you may want to download more fonts from the repositories. Make sure the fonts are antialiased and that your background color is good for the particular font selected.

Comment

Re: How do I make Kubuntu fonts look as good as Ubuntu's? UPDATE

Okay, after Adept has sat at 24% for some time, it eventually tells me I can upgrade to Feisty again, downloads the upgrade tool, and then says its trying to download file 7 of 24 with 24% overall done. It eventually gives up saying that this might be down to the network. Now, I'm posting this using the same laptop, on the same network, so I don't *think* thats the problem.

TTFN!

Paul
      ~~~~~

Comment

?!?!?!?! WTH ?!?!?!?!

Comment

Okay, I've come across the answer:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3103426

It involves setting autohinting in .fonts.conf. I looked at mine and it seemed to be on, but when I followed the recommendation given my pretty-good Kubuntu fonts became just as wonderful as the Ubuntu ones I loved. Now I don't have to go back!
          Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Comment

Like users ask in Ubuntuforum, can you post a before and after screenshot?
            I saw no difference.

Comment

Working...
            X