X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub came back, but with Windows error

Hi all,

After I installed Windows XP again my grub was gone, so I could only boot to windows. Well I found out how to get the grub back but now when I select Windows it gives me some incorrect format exe error or something of that nature. I hit enter and it takes me back to the grub so really I can only get to Kubuntu. Anybody have a clue what's going on here?

Re: Grub came back, but with Windows error

I think you can fix this.

Use the methods of this How-To:
    How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

-- You will get into your Kubuntu, get a terminal (Konsole), and get a GRUB prompt by typing sudo grub.
    -- You need to re-install GRUB to the MBR of that drive (see the How-To for exact details)
    At the grub prompt,
    grub> root (hdx, y) # x should be 0; what is y? -- see Note below
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit
    $ exit
    and re-boot to test it.

(Note the space after root and the space after setup commands.)

Note: The (hdx, y) is the location of where you installed Kubuntu. You need to know x and y: Kubuntu is on hard drive 0 (so x = 0), partition y. What partition is Kubuntu on – that gives you the y? GRUB starts counting from zero. So the first partition is 0, the second is 1, the third is 2, etc. (You have just this one hard drive, right?)

Now, if there’s still a problem, you need to get into Kubuntu, and check the boot entry for Windows.
    Your boot menu is the file /boot/grub/menu.lst (which you can access using Konqueror – see the How-To, and don’t forget to edit this file using sudo -- again see the How-To for editing menu.lst).
    When you are in the file /boot/grub/menu.lst, make sure the boot entry for Windows is the following:

title Windows XP or whatever you wish to call it or say here
    rootnoverify (hd0,0) # this assumes Windows is on the first hard drive, the first partition
    chainloader +1
    boot

Save that change. Re-boot again to test it.

That should do it for you. Please see the How-To because it lays this out very clearly and in detail.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
    X