This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Never Finishes Boot Process.

I have a slight problem with a bit of a fresh Kubuntu installation.
    After installing all of my video drivers (NVidia, if it matters), I had left my computer on for a considerable amount of time. I went to restart it, and was met with an unpleasant sight.
    After selecting my Kubuntu install through GRUB, the progress bar and the Kubuntu logo were shown, but after the bar has completely filled, I am met with a blank screen, then it flashes for a second into a CLI, then back to the loading screen, but without anything in the progress bar. It then hangs for a while then goes to a screen with only a blinking underscore.
    I can go into a command line by pressing ctrl+alt+F1, but in no way can I start KDM successfully from the command line.

So, what should I do?
    If there's anything I can do to provide helpful information to anyone, I'd be glad to do it.
    I'm not a complete noob, but I don't know my way around Linux enough to work with only a CLI to fix something like this, other than trying to start the desktop manager or other simple commands.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks again.

Re: Kubuntu Never Finishes Boot Process.

Did you update you kernel to 2.6.20.16 ? And booting from that. I have the same problem when i use that kernel. I can only boot from 2.6.20.15 than I don't have any issues. I think their are other posts here in the forum about having problems with that kernel. I have seen post on Ubuntu forum also complaining about 2.6.20.16. Try to boot off the 2.6.20.15 and see what happens.
    Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

First hint: go ahead and login at the CLI. You'll want to look at the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log - probably down towards the end/bottom. There should be some indication of an error - that's where you start dignosing the issue.

The "blinking cursor on a blank screen" is a sure sign that the X server crashed. X normally uses "terminal 7" (CTRL+ALT+F7) for it's display device, so when it crashed, it left you in the empty terminal (the other 6 have login processes running on them, which is why you'll see the CLI prompts).
      E. A. (Ed) Graham, Jr.<br />Professional Java Geek<br />Linux User #28251

Comment

That would seem like an x server problem. At the command line type
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

You will be prompted for your password

At the prompt most people seem to recommend selecting VESA. When finished type startx. Any good?

Ian

Comment

Please look over the following link.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084511.0

If you have an onboard intel chip set you may need to black list agpgart & intel_agp.
          Instructions are there if you care to give it a go. It may help it may not but if you give it a go be sure to make backups of any files you change in case you need to restore them. If it works be sure to let others know that it did.

Comment

Working...
          X