This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia not working on reboot

OK, I FINALLY got my nvidia drivers installed and working. Took a couple of days, so I thought I would share my experience. I accidentally installed nvidia-glx-new, and that seemed to just hose EVERYTHING. I have a Geforce4 MX 440 dual head. I had to uninstall and re-install the drivers several times. Finally got it working.

Then we had a power outage, and when I got the machine back up - no X. GRRRRRR.
    Xorg.log.0 was showing that it was trying to load a newer version of the driver. It was complaining about 1.0-9755 not being compatible with my card, but everything I had loaded was for 1.0-96xx. I am running 2.6.20-16-386, and all the right restricted modules were loaded, etc. It also couldn't find /lib/modules/`uname -r`/volatile/nvidia.ko (the volatile modules are loaded at boot, so don't try to just link it in there) What was killing me was that I HAD it working, then POOF.

Then I ran across a post at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...06/comments/22 that said to REMOVE the nv from the DISABLED_MODULES line in /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common. e.g. on older versions of k/ubuntu, you needed to add "nv" to the DISABLED_MODULES line in the above file. Apparently taking that out in Feisty works, because I now boot into X fine. (DISABLED_MODULES="" instead of DISABLED_MODULES="nv")

Did it... it worked. FINALLY. I rebooted a couple of times, just to make sure it worked.

Anyway, hope someone else can find this useful.

P.S. nvidia-settings is an awesome program, way overdue for sure. Here's a tip - when you get it configured, save the X configuration file to /tmp (or somewhere else) and then copy it to /etc/X11. I was having issues with permissions, running nvidia-settings as root, and working with existing xorg.conf files.

Re: nvidia not working on reboot

Originally posted by mweishaa
    P.S. nvidia-settings is an awesome program, way overdue for sure. Here's a tip - when you get it configured, save the X configuration file to /tmp (or somewhere else) and then copy it to /etc/X11. I was having issues with permissions, running nvidia-settings as root, and working with existing xorg.conf files.
    Good point -- you should run nvidia-settings ONE TIME as Super User, i.e.
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-settings
    and set your resolution and refresh rates the way you want them to default, and then save that setup to xorg.conf using the "Save to X Configuration File" button.

Forever after, you should only run it as a user, to change your screen for your current session, i.e.
    Code:
    nvidia-settings
    and NOT attempt to write it to xorg.conf, because you won't have the Super User power to change xorg.conf.

Comment

Re: nvidia not working on reboot

I had a similar experience last Saturday when I accepted updates which installed new nvidia-kernel and nvidia-kernel-common. After reboot the system gave a blank screen with a blinking cursor at the top left corner. When I rebooted in the safe mode, I entered "startx kdm" and the error message contained "....NVIDIA kernel module has the version 1.0-9755 but the X module has the version 1.0-9631". So much for the update I thought >

I found a backup xorg.conf file in /etc/X11/ with the driver "nv" in the Section "Device" and copied that one to xorg.conf after saving the current one.

I then rebooted and got my system back again . I then selected the Envy option from System and chose "Install the NVIDIA driver Manually" and selected version 9755. This package recompiled the driver and fixed the xorg.conf file as well. My system is now working with Beryl and all its idiosyncrasies.

Comment

Working...
      X