X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: Auto partioner

Hi

I hear a lot said about do not use Auto Partitioner in Kubuntu. Why? I have a 80gig hard drive plus 704 megs of ram.

Main drive has Vista home basic. I have Kubuntu 7.04 CD, I ran the live CD and my hardware and everything is compatable the only problem is the screen resoution I have only 3/4 of the screen can barely use start menu.

I want to use auto partitioner I used it mandrake and had no problems, I don't want to mess with manual because I don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks
    In advance

Re: re: Auto partioner

1) first off...
    from what i gathered reading this forum, microsoft have changed their boot loader.
    so, as soon as you install linux, you won't be able to boot into vista anymore.
    you'll have to search this forum for pointers on how to do that, so that things continue to work.
    there might be an howto somewhere by now.
    you might want to google for "ubuntu vista dual boot".
    or wait for someone here that have a valid pointer.

2) then, the partitioning thing...
    before doing anything, i think we need to know how the disc is partitioned right now.
    you say it's 80gb but...is it one big vista partition or is there free room on the drive?
    if it's one big partition, then you'll have to shrink it to make room to linux.
    and in order to do that, i'd suggest to defrag your windoze file system first.
    i don't see why you shouldn't let the installation procedure do things for you.

just pay attention NOT to choose the "use the whole drive" option.

3) 3/4 of the screen thing...
    what's your graphics card?
    what's your monitor type, ratio, and resolution?

hth
    cheers
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Thank you for your response:

hard drive Local Disk (C 51.6 GB free of 74.5 GB

graphics Card Nividia GeForce 6100

Monitor 17" flat screen Samsung Sync Master 701n

Resolution set low Colors Highest 32 bit

1024 by 768 pixels

Thank you for your help.

Comment

WARNING: I am pretty new to Linux so don't trust everything I say.

He wants to know what the current partitions are on your computer. You didn't provide that info. I think there's something in vista to edit partitions. If so, go into that program and take a screenshot of your current partition setup and post it here (do NOT change anything). If vista does not have that application, then:
        Boot off the LiveCD, select install. Get to the partitioning step and choose "Manual". After the partition editor loads, press PrintScreen to take a screenshot. After taking the screenshot, hit "cancel" (do NOT change anything or go any further than that - just hit cancel once you've got your screenshot). Then post the screenshot here.

Comment

Originally posted by PinkyGifford
          hard drive Local Disk (C 51.6 GB free of 74.5 GB
          yeah, actually i'd need to know how the disc is partitioned...
          but, we could really keep things simple.
          you could:
          a) boot the ubuntu live cd and click "install"
          b) get to the partitioning bit, where you'll have at least 3 options
          1)manual partitioning (NOT WHAT YOU WANT)
          2)wipe everything and use the whole disc (NOT WHAT YOU WANT)
          3)something else (it should be something like "shrink the current partition and use freed space)
          pick the "something else" option and let the installer do things for you.
          you'll be alright.

graphics Card Nividia GeForce 6100
          Monitor 17" flat screen Samsung Sync Master 701n
          Resolution set low Colors Highest 32 bit
          1024 by 768 pixels
          all right.
          this configuration should work no problems.
          we should be able to use the open source nvidia drivers and drive you monitor at native 1280x1024.

but we need to get the system installed first...
          gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Thanks jankushka

You eplained exactly what I want to do! Except option 1 is what I will use which is the same as your #3. From what I understand Kubuntu 7.04 which I'm going to use, is somewhat frieindly with Vista so I should'nt have any problems with the bootloader.

The screen resolution I should be able to adjust after I install Kubuntu. While waiting for replies to my question I found this excellent video which explains exactly what you told me to do:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...untu+dual+boot

It should work with Kubuntu to I will let you know how I do. Thank you for all the help

Comment

just a couple more things:
              a) dual boot: all right, i trust what you say.
              b) resolution: yeah with should really have no problems with that
              c) repartitioning: it's always worked for me, except once (and the thing had to be done with partition magic in windoze).
              d) the video you've found is great (post it as a help to others in the "Anything Else" or "Help The New Guy" forum)

notice however that:
              a) the guy uses (gnome)ubuntu and you'll use (kde)kubuntu
              b) the guy has windows xp on his system you have vista

good luck.
              gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Hi Jankushka,

I got it everything installed perfect using these instructions :

http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_b...nstalled_first

Vista shows up in the grub bootloader! I restarted and it says i have the wrong pass word I want to get in there to chage the Screen resolution. Will I have to re-install Kubuntu

Thanks

Comment

Will I have to re-install Kubuntu
                  no way.
                  reinstallation is something you do in windoze.
                  with linux: you fix it.

i don't know what the problem is.
                  there are plenty of reasons why kdm would tell you you have a wrong password:
                  a) when you installed, you typed the password with caps lock on and now it's off
                  b) when you installed, you typed the password with caps lock off and now it's on
                  c) your X server has a wrong keyboard
                  to fix the above, try typing the password in the username textfield to make sure
                  and then act consequently. if you have the wrong keyboard, we can still fix it.

d) you think you set the password you're typing, but your're wrong...
                  in this case, go back to your grub menu and boot in recovery mode once you get
                  to the prompt type:
                  Code:
                  passwd <your_user_name>
                  enter your password and reboot.

i trust you'll be alright in no more than 10 minutes...

cheers
                  gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Ok problem solved:

user Name- First letter was upper case should have been used lower case. Now attempting to set resolution and internet connection.

Thanks

Comment

good.

whatever you do to get you resolution sorted,
                      don't use System Settings -> Monitor&Display

remove the following file if it's there:
                      Code:
                      rm .kde/share/config/displayconfigrc
                      gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Ok!!

Finally got the screen resolution fixed using this command: "ctrl-alt +/-" it suggested screen resolution 1024x768x60 and adjusted the screen properly.

Now the other problem is the internet, done everything to connect I dont know what the settings should be in the network panel. so tried "sudo pppoeconf' added the info and then "pon dsl-provivder" and shows its activated but Kongrer comes up with no host.

If theres away to fix this it would be great. There used to be a icon on the system tray for the connection but disapeared. also, Etho,o shows enabled and eth0,1 is enabled in network panel?? I thought the internet would work out of the box.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                        X