Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIOS too old and all sorts of other problems...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIOS too old and all sorts of other problems...

Hi,

I'm trying to install kubuntu on a PC. When I run the install disk, it says that my BIOS is too old for something (ACPI make any sense?). I think this has only happened when I used the version 7.04 disk.

I was, however, finding it hard to install before that. I ended up downloading the text install disk, as the liveCD wouldn't boot properly.

Also, the disk I really want to boot from is on a separate PCI card - it's a big disk, and not supported at full capacity by the motherboard. I wanted to boot to this disk because it's much, much quieter than the smaller alternative that I have. Even if grub has to load on another disk, and then boot into ubuntu, I'd be happy, but I tried putting the two disks into another PC to get the installation done, but I couldn't get it to boot after an apparently successful install...

So as you can see, I'm getting into a bit of a mess! Any help would really be appreciated.

PS the computer I'm installing on has an (I think) 733mhz pentium pro (from memory) and 1 gig memory. It's got a (loud) 10gig HDD and the aforementioned drive plugged in through a PCI card is and ATA 250gig drive. I'm trying to install using the 7.04 text-based installer.

Re: BIOS too old and all sorts of other problems...

HDD manufacturers used to make and Ez BIOS disk that fixed the size limitations on older systems. Might be worth a google to see if it's still around, or check the manufacturers website.

Comment

Working...
    X