X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot Progress

Good day

Is there a way to actually view the boot progression as the system loads all the services and stuff?

I am not used to powering on a machine - and getting nothing till my login prompt appears. Kinda like seeing everything happening as it loads up ( Fedora style)

Thanks
    Andrew

Re: Boot Progress

I think you can do that in the grub menu. Select your default kernel at bootup, and press "e", then press "e" again on the first line (should begin with kernel-). See if you have usplash or splash there somewhere, and remove it (leave anything else untouched). Then press Enter, and "b" for booting. The splash screen should be gone.

I got the idea by reading this howto for speeding up boot process (I remember seeing usplash or splash while editing the bootparameters as explained there).

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=254263

Comment

Originally posted by molnarcs
      I think you can do that in the grub menu.
      If it were intented to be an "on the fly" (read: "one time") change, you would have been right - to change the relevant settings permanently, however, the according kernel entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst needs to be edited, e.g. as follows:

Change

Code:
      kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-11-generic root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet splash
      to

Code:
      kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-11-generic root=/dev/sda2 ro
      and you're done (until the next kernel upgrade, that is ...).

Comment

Thank you UnicornRider -

Your knowledge and help have been indespensable the last few months with my switch from a Confirmed & Baptised Fedora Junkie to a Kubuntu Oracle

Thank you

Andrew

Comment

Thanks for the clarifications

Comment

Working...
          X