X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feisty Upgrade-Fetch Error

G'day all,
    I've been trying to upgrade from Edgy to Fiesty with no luck at all. I keep getting a fetch error:
    http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/di...6/Packages.bz2 Sub process returned an error code (2). I've been trying through the recommended Adept Packet Manager and my machine is up to date with the current updates.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    TIA, Regards

Re: Feisty Upgrade-Fetch Error

Hi,

Maybe it's the because of load troubles...
    You should try later.

Comment

bumping this rather than starting a new thread.

I'm having a similar problem. The error message I receive is:
      Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...86/Packages.gz Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)

What do I do now??

Thanks in advance.
      NTP

Comment

Usually it's due from disconnection on the server :
        - or from you (your internet can "jump" sometimes)
        - or from server (same case)
        - too busy and reject connection.

The best way to see, it's to copy and paste this address (or reject) in konqueror (or firefox, or whatever browser) and see if you can download the file. If yes, then try to update your sources again.

Comment

Good thinking Sky,
          I took your advice and copied and pasted the fetch error into my web browser and surprise surprise it loaded but alas it still will not load in the upgrade cycle.
          Regards and thanks.

Comment

Same here. I tried that earlier with the same result. I've tried several times so it is less likely to be my local connection.
            NTP

Comment

Just tried again, about 20 hours after last attempt. Received the same error. Is there a cache somewhere I should clear? This has me confused.
              Norman

Comment

I had the same error and i fixed it by commenting out the line in the sources.list after that feisty installed just fine....
                Check out my website with Kubuntu how to's:  madberry.org

Comment

Sky, I've been pondering over you thoughts and yes while the fetch error loads in a browser. The output produces only a very small amount of code and does not bring up the download dialog box. Me think there is problem in the content of the link. But from here I have not got a clue. All help would be greatly appreciated TIA,

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by madberry
                    I had the same error and i fixed it by commenting out the line in the sources.list after that feisty installed just fine....
                    Is this a good idea? I, frankly, do not know enough to correct matters if other errors occur.

NTP

Comment

Maybe it's trouble with the server but I'm able to download this file from france so I don't know.
                      Anyway, you can use if you want another mirror close to you, like canada for example and check if it's working well.
                      About commenting it out, yes you can also, as it's only used for updates of restricted packages it shouldn't hurt, but you can have strange trying for update sometimes.

Comment

Similar problem for me: Here's the wrror I get having tried a few times it always gets stuck on file 98 out of 100.

Failed to fetch http://packages.freecontrib.org/plf/...lf/Release.gpg Could not connect to packages.freecontrib.org:80 (88.191.33.6), connection timed out
                        Failed to fetch http://packages.freecontrib.org/plf/...tion-en_GB.bz2 Could not connect to packages.freecontrib.org:80 (88.191.33.6), connection timed out
                        Failed to fetch http://packages.freecontrib.org/plf/...tion-en_GB.bz2 Could not connect to packages.freecontrib.org:80 (88.191.33.6), connection timed out

Comment

The above problem seemed to be sorted out by unenabling the offending depositaries

Comment

Perhaps I'll be able to get back to this by Monday. I might be able to try sooner but my schedule is not looking helpful.

Had some unexpected time Friday night. I commented out the problem lines. The installation went fine.
                            NTP

Comment

Working...
                            X