This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FF won't reboot!

I did a complete install of Kubuntu Feisty Fawn yesterday, wiping out a previous install of Ubuntu Edgy. Works fine - for one boot! Every attempt at rebooting, even turning off and turning on again end in total failure - hangs on a blank black screen! Only way I managed to get in a second time was to do a complete reinstall, and the same thing happened again!
    Anybody have any ideas?
    running an ancient 386 Pentium III with around 320 mb memory and a 20GB hard disk.

HELP!

Richard

Re: FF won't reboot!

Well, several hours ... no help ... OK, I have one notion to offer, but I don't know how exactly to implement it.

There needs to be a certain amount of delay during the bootup process for any OS, during which your hard drive spins up to full speed, the BIOS detects that fact and then the location of the master boot record, and the boot process is initiated accordingly. It is a sequence that must be accomplished in order, and within certain minimum time parameters for each step. Old hard drives (like old people) sometimes have trouble keeping up the pace. So, if you can figure out how to set a "wait", or a delay into the process, it COULD fix it.

One simple test to check if this is the problem, if you're able, would be to disconnect your old drive, and connect up a faster newer hard drive to the same IDE bus/cable, and try a Kubuntu installation on that one, just to see if the problem is the old drive.

Hope this helps a little bit -- if not, you can start your list of what ISN'T the problem! :P

Comment

Working...
    X